Legendary senior writer jclombardi reflects on Packers win.
1. Strong No-huddle offense—after a slow start in the Arizona preseason game going three-and-out in its first series and punting after two first downs on its next possession, the first-time offense but looked sharp in its third series with the no-huddle offense. Packers went to their no-huddle offense in the 2nd quarter. QB Rodgers connected to TE Finley on three straight plays setting up the 20 yards touchdown to WR Jennings. For the evening, healthy TE Finley had 4 catches for 33 yards.
2. Outstanding Quarterbacks Rodgers & Flynn—QB Rodgers looked sharp starting into the 2nd quarter. He completed 9 of 12 passes for 97 yards and 1 touchdown. Then, before halftime, QB Flynn led the Packers to another score culminating in a two yard touchdown run by rookie RB Green. Flynn completed 5 of 6 passes for 141 yards, one touchdown, and a perfect 158.3 passer rating.
3. Solid WR West—wide receiver Chastin West had 5 completions for 134 yards and 1 touchdown.
4. Healthy RB Grant—looking like his former self, RB Grant rushed five times for 23 yards. For the preseason, he is averaging 4.4 per carry.
1. Shaky Packers pass protection—still a preseason work-in-progress giving up 5 sacks and three hits. Last week against the Brown, the line gave up five sacks. With a mixed performance, LG Lang gave up one sack. Rookie LT/LG Sherrod had a tough night two sacks. On the drive that Sherrod gave up his first sack, RG Sitton gave up a sack to DT Dockett.
2. Sloppy game—like a typical preseason games, the Packers showed their rust with eight penalties, five sacks, 2 fumbles (one lost), and off-target passes.
3. Thin defensive line—behind solid DL Pickett and impressive DL Raji, the defensive line is too thin. Injured DE Neal did not play. Then, DL Wilson left with a concussion. Overall, DL Green and DL Wynn were not too impressive. This issue must be addressed in the coming weeks.
4. Injuries–DE Wilson suffered a concussion in the first quarter and failed to return. Rookie wide receiver Randall Cobb had a rough night muffing a low, line-drive punt and suffered a bruised knee.