Buccaneers Comeback from 21 Down to Beat Chiefs in OT 30-27

Bryant wins it

Eerily similar to last weeks defeat the Kansas City Chiefs again lose a very winnable game, falling short to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30-27 in overtime. Everything that could have went right for the Chiefs in the first 27 minutes of the game did, starting with the coin toss. Bucs coach Jon Gruden won the coin toss but opted to defer and allow the Chiefs to receive first.

The decision would backfire as Tyler Thigpen methodically drove the Chiefs down the field on a 12 play 69 yard drive that was capped off by seven yard touchdown pass from Thigpen to Dwayne Bowe. Then the wheels fell off for the Bucs, they fumbled their first offensive play off the game, setting the Chiefs up on the Tampa 41 yard line.

Taking advantage of the field position Tyler Thigpen again led the Chiefs down the field on a drive finished off by a one yard Kolby Smith touchdown dive. Down 14-0 Tampa Bay answered back with a 25-yard field goal, pulling Tampa within 11 at 14-3.

On the ensuing drive Tyler Thigpen may have made himself a Arrowhead legend, with Jamal Charles taking the direct snap from center he then handed to WR Mark Bradley on the reverse who hit Thigpen on a 37 yard touchdown pass. With the Chiefs now up 21-3 five minutes into the 2nd quarter, Tampa would continue to turn the ball over as Jeff Garcia was picked off by rookie CB Brandon Carr. The turnover would go for not as The Chiefs and Bucs traded punts.

The final two and a half minutes of the first half saw a flurry of scoring, after a 39 yard Connor Barth field goal that seemingly put the game out of reach at 24-3, The Bucs came alive after a 97 yard Clifton Smith kickoff return, that play swung the momentum for the rest of game in the Bucs favor.

After a Chiefs three and out, Jeff Garcia got the ball back with a 1:04 left on the clock and made a play with 12 seconds left to get the Bucs into field goal range and send the game to half 24-13. The scoring would die down in the second half as the Chiefs and Bucs combined for four strait punts. The beginning of the fourth quarter saw the most important series of the plays transpire, Clifton Smith fumbled away the ball at the K.C. 10 yard line. Attempting to run some time off the clock Jamal Charles would fumble the ball right back on the very next play.

One play later the Bucs would pullout some trickery of their own, opting to have running back Earnest Graham throw a three yard touchdown pass to TE Alex Smith. The conversion would fail but Tampa was within one possession for the first time since the 1st quarter 24-19. At the 3:34 mark in the 4th quarter the Bucs again looked dead in the water Connor Barth had kicked through a 28-yard field goal to put the Chiefs up eight, and then from the Chiefs seven yard line Earnest Graham fumbled away the ball into the end zone giving the Chiefs a touchback.

Unable to get a first down, after a questionable offensive pass interference play on Tony Gonzalez the Chiefs would punt the ball back to Garcia and the Bucs with 1:50 left in the game.

Ravaged by injuries at cornerback the Chiefs were unable to stop the precise passing of Garcia who went 5 for 6 passing and marched the Bucs 64 yards down the field, culminated by a 24 yard touchdown pass to Antonio Bryant with 25 seconds left. Tampa would get the two point conversion, tie the game at 27 and send it into overtime. Wining the coin flip the Bucs would go straight down the field and get into field goal range.

To add to the heart break for the Chiefs, Bucs kicker Matt Bryant missed a 38 yard field goal, only to be negated by a false start his next attempt would go thru and the Chiefs would lose in improbable fashion 30-27.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to NFL Gridiron Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

Comments are closed.