First of all, I won’t include Joe Flacco because I expect him to be – at minimum – franchised by the Ravens. Secondly, Michael Vick is likely to be cut. Many NFL personnel see him signing with the Buffalo Bills. That means Ryan Fitzpatrick will also be cut, with his big salary. I also expect Alex Smith to be traded to a QB-needy team that misses out on Vick and Fitzpatrick.
So, with those asterisks, here’s the best projected-to-be-available QB’s when free agency starts.
1. Michael Vick. Best fit: Bills. He’d have a similar set-up to Philadelphia’s (speedy if slight WRs, burner at RB), but with better protection.
2. Ryan Fitzpatrick. Best fit: Jets. If Rex finally gives up on Mark Sanchez, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to bring in Fitzpatrick and let him and Tim Tebow fight it out for the starting job.
3. Matt Moore. Best fit: Chiefs. The Chiefs are sure to draft a QB, but restless fans might enjoy seeing a quarterback who could make third-down throws, and not make rookie mistakes for a potential playoff run.
4. Rex Grossman. Good fit: Giants. I know what you’re thinking. If he’s #4, this must be a bad class. Rexy actually can still zip the ball from the pocket. His biggest problems are when he has to move around. Some of the best fits I could come up with involved teams that might just re-sign their impending free agents (Bengals, Buccaneers). The Giants may also just decide to re-sign David Carr. Rex likes to throw down-field on ins and go routes, a style that suits targets Cruz, Bennett, Nicks, Randle and Hixon.
5. Charlie Batch. Good fit: Cardinals. This is dependent on whether or not Kevin Kolb is able to come back from all his head injuries. The Cardinals will likely look at a lot of different QBs – rookie and vet – to try to get the passing game going.
Diamonds in the rough: Drew Stanton (I could see him staying with the Colts and auditioning for a starter’s job somewhere else if Luck gets hurt), Brian Hoyer.
Hit “Like” or the Facebook share button if you’d like to see Michael Vick have one more career comeback!
Follow me at: http://twitter.com/Chris_M_Bach
More recent posts:
Leslie Frazier and Mike Mularkey Both Likely to Be Let Go After Season Is Over
2012 Division III NCAA Championship Preview: Mount Union vs. St. Thomas
Former SMU QB Kyle Padron Throws 6 TDs, Is One Game Away From National Championship
Carson Palmer May Have Started His Last Game For the Raiders
The 3 Most Attractive Head Coaching Jobs to Become Available in 2013
Female Chicago and Jacksonville Fans Being Cast in Potential VH1 Reality Show
Darren Sharper Confirms Beef Between Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh; This AFC North Lore Needs To Go Away