Gridiron Gab Rapid Recap: 49’ers Slam Jets 34-0

A week after getting beat in all three phases by the Vikings, the 49ers took out their frustration Sunday in New Jersey, pounding Mark Sanchez and the Jets 34-0.

The Niners punched the Jets in the mouth, rushing for more than 200 yards and Carlos Rogers returned a fumble 51 yards for a touchdown after Jets WR Santonio Holmes went down in a heap with an injured foot.

Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick – on a wildcat-style option – all ran for scores for the Niners, who now are 3-1 on the season.

San Fran held the overmatched Jets to a paltry 145 yards and nine first downs while forcing four turnovers, including Rogers pickup of a fumble that gave the Niners a 24-0 lead just seconds into the fourth quarter.

The 49ers also blocked a punt that led to Hunter’s one-yard touchdown plunge with 6:03 remaining.

The Jets are 2-2, but seem to be a team on the brink of what could be a long season.

They couldn’t get anything going on offense and lost Holmes to what appeared to be a serious foot injury. It was the first time New York was shut out since losing 9-0 to Green Bay on Oct. 31, 2010, and the Jets’ biggest shutout home loss since falling 37-0 to Buffalo in 1989.

Gore finished with 62 rushing yards on 21 carries and Alex Smith completed 12- of-21 throws for 143 yards for San Francisco, which totaled 245 yards on the ground and held the ball for nearly 37 minutes.

“I’ve never given up that many yards in my life,” an angry Ryan said after the game.

Kaepernick put the 49ers up 7-0 early in the second quarter, taking a direct snap and running untouched off left end for a 7-yard touchdown. Kaepernick also had a 17-yard run earlier in the game.

On the Jets’ next possession, Tim Tebow threw his first pass with New York, a short throw over the middle to tight end Dedrick Epps, who was upended immediately by Dashon Goldson as the ball came loose. Rogers recovered it, and the fumble call was upheld by video review. Epps injured his right knee on the play.

With just over a minute left in the first half, the 49ers were aggressive despite starting the drive at their 26. A 23-yard catch by Vernon Davis on first down got things rolling, and San Francisco ended the half on David Akers’ 36-yard field goal.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to NFL Gridiron Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

Comments are closed.