1. Peyton Manning Broncos – A great outing by the new Broncos QB, when running the no-huddle, he looked like his old self, and was a key factor in the Broncos 31-19 win over the Steelers. If he can stay healthy – look out.
2. Kevin Smith Lions – All day the Lions had to fight to hold off the Rams, and by the end, it was a great day by Smith, who scored twice including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds. Smith could be a huge factor for the Lions this season, and week one was a great start.
3. San Francisco 49ers – It was a huge week one win for the Niners, and all of the team gets a game ball for their gutsy outing in Green Bay. The Niners were in the NFC title game last year, but not many gave them a shot vs Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. Instead, the Niners played like a team out for respect – and they got it.
4. Robert Griffin III Redskins – Everyone felt (myself included) that the Saints would make it a long day for RG3 and the Redskins, and instead, the rookie was excellent as he and the Redskins pulled off the upset in New Orleans. Griffin was 19-for-26 for 320 yards with two touchdowns. His outing sparked reminders of how Cam Newton began his rookie season a year ago.
5. Adrian Peterson Vikings – The Vikings back came back with a solid first outing, going for 84 yards on 17 rushes with two touchdowns in the Vikings OT win over the Jaguars. It was a great sign for the Vikings back, who is fighting his way back after an injury against the Redskins last December. If this is how Peterson looks at maybe 70-80 percent, Vikings fans have a lot to look forward to when he’s 100 percent again.