While there are some great week one battles in the NFL to start the year, fantasy owners have to look long and hard at their rosters to make sure they don’t make the mistake of playing players that will not have big weeks. There’s plenty of those guys out there, and today we look at five that you are FOR SURE going to want to sit in week one.
1. Dwayne Bowe WR Kansas City – Sure Bowe is the first option for Matt Cassel and the Chiefs in the passing game, but he missed all of camp, and now goes up against a solid Atlanta secondary Sunday. Look for Bowe to have better numbers down the road, but this week, I would keep him on the bench if you have anywhere near close to better options.
2. Reggie Bush RB Miami – Bush said he wants to have 2000 yards in 2012, but it won’t get off to such a hot start in the Lone Star State. The Texans not only allowed just 7 rushing scores last season, but no running backs caught a touchdown against the Texans a season ago. The Dolphins offense is bad, and Bush owners are going to pay for it if you start him this week.
3. Mark Sanchez QB New York Jets – Most people won’t be in a position to have to start Sanchez anyway, but if for some odd reason you are thinking about it – think again. Last year Sanchez did have four TD’s in his last game against the Bills, but he’s struggled under pressure in the past, and with Tim Tebow looming and the Jets offense awful in the preseason, things are lining up for Sanchez to have a quiet day Sunday.
4. Adrian Peterson RB Minnesota – AP says he’s ready to roll, but even if he does find his way on the field Sunday, it will be sparingly. My early guess is he doesn’t play at all, and while he may be your number one back, your going to have to take one for the team and sit him down for the chance of someone that will for sure see the field Sunday.
5. Frank Gore RB San Francisco – The Niners head to Lambeau Field to play the Pack in week one, and it’s a tough matchup for the Niners offense all the way around, but more so for Gore. Last season the Pack allowed just 3 rushing touchdowns to running backs at home, and they seem to hold backs in check all the way around, leaving Gore on your bench in week one if you have him currently in your lineup.
BONUS SIT : I know I said five, but here’s another one that I wouldn’t put in the lineup, that being Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew. The unhappy back missed all preseason and camp, and while the Jags say he will play, he’ll likely get single digit carries, and it’s going to take a week or two for him to get back in the swing of things. He will be back to normal down the road, but in week one, show him the pine.
Email Matt Loede your Fantasy Questions at Matt@NFLGridironGab.com. We will have a new “Fantasy Mailbag” each week here on Thursday’s entering the start of each NFL week of games.