As someone who thinks the NFL is a lot better when there are stars with personality, I really hope the allegation is untrue, whether or not the physical nature of the fight was mutual (it’s never right to hit a woman; A PSA on NFL Network reminds us of this hourly).
However, it looks like he probably did it. His wife Evelyn Lozada was treated at the scene for a “pretty good-sized” laceration and later taken to the hospital, Cpt. Dale Engle told NFL.com and NFL Network. Also unseemly is that agent Drew Rosenhaus has “no comment”.
What complicates the issue:
1. Other than an alleged eye-punch Johnson delivered to Marvin Lewis at halftime of the 2005 Divisional Round Playoffs, Johnson has been without physical incident since college (where he was arrested for domestic battery). Johnson had gone so far to rebuild his image that this would be a shame if Johnson is convicted of the misdemeanor.
2. Evelyn Lozada is a reality TV show star. I’m not saying she’s lying or anything, but she made her living manufacturing fake drama.
3. Aren’t the “Hard Knocks” cameras keeping an eye on Johnson at all times? If the fight really was physical (and it looks like it was), one hopes the the situation wasn’t manufactured for or by HBO, or if perhaps the pressure of being on camera added to the altercation. MTV’s “The Real World” producers used to create drama between people and encourage adultery and fights for ratings.
4. If Philbin threatened to cut Johnson for using too much profanity at press conferences (Philbin himself used an obscenity in the premiere), what will he and Ireland do to Chad if this is true?
5. If true, where does Chad get all this time? I hope Chad didn’t head-butt his wife for her sake, secondly for his sake, thirdly because I’d hate to see him leave the same year us fans got Peyton Manning, Randy Moss and Terrell Owens back. The only thing that’s kind of unbelievable about this – given that he does have a history of domestic violence – is that Chad has time for ladies between his wife, training camp and his constant X-Box playing and endorsements.
Chad remains in custody, and the misdemeanor could be upgraded felony due to her lacerations. Someone claiming to be a friend of Chad’s, Ryan Santoro, spoke out on Twitter, claiming there is another side to this story. Chad has claimed the heads butted accidentally, Evelyn says he head-butted her. Chad is expected to be out of jail on bond at 8:30 AM ET.