Talks Between NFL and Union About Suspending the Pro Bowl

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com reports NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday morning that the NFL has “been in discussions with the union about the future of the Pro Bowl. No determination has been made yet about this season’s game.”

That statement came on the heels of an ESPN report that the league is “moving toward” canceling the game as soon as this year. The cancellation was deemed “likely.” Teams would reportedly still honor Pro Bowl incentives in order to avoid a conflict with the NFL Players Association.

The league and union discussed the issue in their meeting on April 16. NFL executive vice president and general counsel Jeff Pash said the two sides were in agreement that the quality of last year’s game was unacceptable. Pash mentioned possible ways to improve the game, including insurance for players, rule changes, and changing the payout amounts.

Pash did not mention canceling the game at the time, but commissioner Roger Goodell did mention the possibility earlier this offseason. It’s becoming clearer that the league sees getting rid of the game entirely as a realistic option.


Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to NFL Gridiron Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

Comments are closed.