Who are the coaches closest to getting fired? Here’s your list:
TIER ONE: DEAD MEN WALKING
1. Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio, Record: 1-5, 66-68 career with team; Offense: 31st; Defense: 12th; Years left on contract: 1.
He will get fired unless the light comes on for Gabbert, his non-injured weapons progress, and they end up making the playoffs.
2. Colts head coach Jim Caldwell, Record: 0-6, 24-14 career with team, 2-2 playoffs; Offense: 28th; Defense: 28th; Years left on contract: 1.
He will get fired if the Colts go 3-13 or worse and continue to have no answer for the defensive problems. I think Bill Polian is more of the problem, but Caldwell was kind of Dungy’s pick and getting a defensive coach makes sense when Manning comes back.
3. Chiefs head coach Todd Haley, Record: 2-3, 16-21 career with team, 0-1 playoffs; Offense: 29th; Defense: 32nd; Years left on contract: 1.
He will get fired if the Chiefs finish worse than 8-8. Pioli probably has some guys in mind. I have Caldwell ahead of him because Haley going 8-8 in the AFC West is slightly more realistic than Caldwell going 4-12 right now.
4. Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano, Record: 0-5, 25-28 career with team, 0-1 playoffs; Offense: 30th; Defense: 27th; Years left on contract: .
He will get fired if the Dolphins miss the playoffs. Losing Chad Henne doesn’t change the expectations much.
TIER TWO: SEAT HAS TURNED TO ASHES
5. Eagles head coach Andy Reid, Record: 2-4, 120-77-1 career with team, 10-9 playoffs; Offense: 11th; Defense: 16th; Years left on contract: 2.
He will get fired if he misses the playoffs, and the remaining games with the Cowboys, Redskins and Giants will be the perfect indicator as to whether they are going to make it or not.
6. Bears head coach Lovie Smith, Record: 3-3, 66-52 career with team, 3-3 playoffs; Offense: 10th; Defense: 12th; Years left on contract: 2.
He will get fired if the organization really wants to clean house or maybe if they collapse down the stretch. If the right candidate is there, a 1-and-done in the playoffs might not cut it.
7. Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, Record: 3-3, 40-46 career with team; Offense: 14th; Defense: 9th; Years left on contract: 1.
He will get fired if they miss the playoffs.
TIER THREE: NOT AN OPTIMISTIC OUTLOOK
8. Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier, Record: 1-5, 4-8 career with team; Offense: 21st; Defense: 16th; Years left on contract: 2.
He will probably get fired if they don’t do better than 3-13, the record Les Steckel had in his one year with the . The Vikings are going to be paying for two more years of Brad Childress.
9. Browns head coach Pat Shurmur, Record: 2-3; Offense: 27th; Defense: 15th; Years left on contract: 3.
He could get fired if the Browns go 5-11 or 4-12, but I think Holmgren cares about public favor – not just the Browns fanbase – and would look mean for firing him after one year.
10. Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, Record: 1-4, 33-36 career with team, 4-2 playoffs; Offense: 23rd; Defense: 19th; Years left on contract: 2.
He could get fired if the Cardinals finish last in the division. The games against the Rams could decide that.
SAFE FOR NOW BUT MAYBE NOT THROUGH THE OFF-SEASON: Tom Coughlin (needs to win playoff game), Marvin Lewis, Steve Spagnuolo, Mike Smith (just extended last season), and Norv Turner (needs to win playoff game).
Follow me at: http://twitter.com/Chris_M_Bach