Seattle Seahawks Should Pursue David Garrard Immediately

Looks like rookie Blaine Gabbert is taking the reigns of the Jaguars franchise, the team announced they have parted ways with incumbent starter David Garrard.

In a surprising move today the Jacksonville Jaguars have released their starting quarterback David Garrard and have handed the reigns of the offense to Luke McCown.

Given their quarterback situation, I would hope that the Seattle Seahawks would pursue the pro bowl quarterback immediately.

On paper, it’s a no brainer, Garrard out-calibers Tarvaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst in every way, shape, and form

Mobility? He definitely has that, his rushing touchdown total from last season (5) is as many rushing scored as Jackson and Whitehurst have combined in their career?

Accuracy? He’s not known as the leagues most accurate quarterback, but just last seasons split: 2,734/23/15//90.8 QBR looks much more appealing the Jacksons career stat line of: 3,984/24/22/76.6 QBR.

Arm Strength? I really want Whitehurst to start, but he hasn’t shown a poise to throw the deep ball, and when Jackson does throw it it just gets picked off, tipped, or is generally incomplete. Think I am being too harsh? Watch the pre-season over again, I think his one deep bomb dime was to Golden Tate and Tate had to turn around in an awkward position and got some YAC after as well.

In fact, the argument is that any starter in this league currently aside from Rex Grossman would represent an upgrade. Garrards arrival would come with a huge sigh of relief by the 12th Man, including me. He is a competent starter with playoff experience who unlike Jackson in Minnesota had very little to work with in Jacksonville in terms of receivers and tight ends.

It’s probably not going to happen, it really looks like Pete Carroll is eying Andrew Luck because he’s not even playing the superior of the two inferior options he currently has (Jesus!).

Continuity my a** though, it doesn’t matter if the guy knows the offense if he can’t play football. My dads best friend lives in Minneapolis and he has warned us that we are going to learn to hate the letters TJ… As if that wasn’t already known.

Also

Seattle has over $15.5 million in cap space and that figure should have increased with the release of Colin Cole and Mike Gibson. Right now the figure has to be at least $17.5 million. They have more than enough space to pursue an actual starting quarterback. Even if it is just a bridge to the future, would you rather have David Garrard or Tarvaris Jackson?

The question kind of answers itself…

7 Responses to “Seattle Seahawks Should Pursue David Garrard Immediately”

1. Alvin says:

Not sure where Seattle is cap space wise right now, but I agree, in every regard, that move makes sense to them to go after Gerrard (did you catch that? That rhymed.).

2. Andrew Auger says:

Kneeslapper.. Lol.. And yes, it does make a ton of sense given the weapons this team does have on offense, I think with Garrard they could at least attempt to tap into that potential and I believe he is capable of heaving the ball to the four 6″5 targets and getting it to them in jump ball situations.

3. Hawk_Eye says:

You have to ask why did Jacksonville release Garrard in favor of Luke McCown? There has to be a reason. I say whatever could come up with, it would not be anything good about Garrard’s character. Think about it.

• Zeekmo says:

It’s most likely because the owners are going to scrap the team and move to LA. Plus, he isn’t their future anyways. They’ve got Gabbart on the roster, so Garrard became expendable. I wouldn’t worry about character issues from him either. I’ve never heard much negativity from anyone in Jacksonville for that matter

4. emstar422 says:

whether its TJ or Garrard he will still get pummeled…. i didnt think it was possible to have an o-line worse than last year’s but happened… i thiink gallery’s LT and C in oakland made him look good the guy looks like that really tall goofy guy we all went to HS…..no coordination…no strength…no girth…..if u wanna rag on anyone rag on him, russell soon to be bust okung, and unger…hes the C…hes responsible for directing the blockers in this offense…i give the rookies some slack because of the short offseaon…carpenter just needs tlo get in shape…hes an excellent run blocker…and every rookie T has trouble bein on that island hell be ok….but like i said i would be more concerned with the C and left side they’re all vets and getting manhandled just as bad as the right side… i predict gallery to be the next free lunch guy to replace deion branch…and him and unger to be the biggest problems on the line …jackson isnt great but for him to only throw 2 pics with the pressure hes had to face is incredible..he reminds me of marc bulger running for his life on the rams….if hasselbeck had been in there instead he would already be on the IR ewuthseason ending injury or thrown 5 pics he always would force passes under pressure remember?

5. Rambo4 says:

Please hawks, do something….If you can guarantee me the worst record for Luck I might be able to take it for a season, but knowing my boys, they will get the 2nd worst record…

6. Andrew Auger says:

Rambo4 is preaching.

Your absolutely right, an awful season won’t guarantee the No. 1 overall pick, and the No. 1 overall choice will be the prerequisite to getting Andrew Luck.

They could still go 4-12 and pick fourth, which would mean a season is tanked and they get Matt Barkley (still a well regarded prospect). It would be a nice coup, but it’s not Andrew Luck, and if it’s not Andrew Luck, I am not content with tanking a season.