I understand that no two QBs are exactly alike, but – as a Florida State fan and college football fan – I’ve seen enough of this year’s class to say there are some similarities between these players AND between them and past players.
1. Blaine Gabbert: A taller Donovan McNabb.
2. Christian Ponder: Drew Brees. He throws on the run and comes out of play-action with the same precision as Brees. He’s a natural leader and a tough competitor and – like Brees – has come back from major shoulder injuries with that same focus and moxie. By the way, there are some journalists who watch more tape than me and get paid more than I who have Ponder ranked ahead of Newton.
3. Cam Newton: A leaner, more enthusiastic Daunte Culpepper. His throwing motion reminds me a little of Vince Young’s but more compact. He is one of the fastest big quarterbacks I’ve seen but I don’t think the Josh Freeman comparisons are going to be accurate. Josh Freeman threw only 6 interceptions in his first full year as starter.
4. Ryan Mallett: Philip Rivers with better arm strength and slightly less mobility. I know Philip Rivers is a coach’s dream and a vocal leader but did we know ALL of that when he came out of college?
5. Andy Dalton: Colt McCoy with better mechanics. I saw two games of his and don’t remember much from the highlight tapes of him.
6. Jake Locker: A less fiery Tim Tebow and a more fiery, less gunslinger Jay Cutler. It’s weird how being a good leader has put him so far ahead of Mallett on so many boards. Locker has good arm strength, Mallett has unprecedented arm strength. Locker is a more mobile but he HAD (past tense) the same late game issues that Mallett HAD and I would argue that Mallett will be able to quell pass rushes when he starts connecting deep.
7. Tyrod Taylor: Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb.
8. Colin Kaepernick: Tim Tebow and Tyler Thigpen.
9. Ricky Stanzi: His high release point reminds me of Peyton Manning. Looked good at the Combine.
10. Pat Devlin: A little like Carson Palmer. I only saw him in the Div. II playoffs and the Combine.
How would you rank them and who do they remind you of?