Senior writer jclombardi–Packers draft needs & grades talent depth.
Packers Top Draft Needs & Talent Depth Grades:
2. OT—Grade: B-. Top rated tackle is currently rated just 18th overall. More of a quantity vs. quality years as five total tackles receive mid/late first round grades. Overall depth is down as left tackle is shorter supply after first five taken. Yet good supply of right tackle or guard/tackle tweeners available for the mid-late rounds.
4. DT—Grade: A. Remarkably strong and deep highlighted nine total prospects with first and second round grades. Depth remains strong into the later rounds. The variety of tackles may be even more impressive than the depth.
5. CB—Grade: B+. Top two Peterson & Amukamara give solid one-two punch but bit of drop-off to next tier. The second tier is full of big, toolsy prospects with high upside. Overall depth is solid but not spectacular.
6. WR—Grade: B-. The drop off after Green & Jones & dynamic duo is significant. Then only Baldwin earns first round grade. While low on top end talent, depth is above average and features variety of options including a number of possession & slot types.
7. Guard—Grade: B+. Guard position may lack sure-fire first rounder but depth is strong throughout led by four players with second round grades. The depth is bolstered by three small school prospects.
COMMENTARY: Focusing upon top Packers needs, we liked NFL Draft 101’s impressive brief review of draft talent at positions and depth. After reviewing the depth positions and how each round plays out, the Packers will look at best overall players available compared to top immediate needs. In speculating, one mock draft suggested the Packers are targeting OLB Ayers, versatile DT Wilkerson (strong pass rusher), versatile DE Heyward (average pass rusher), and raw pass rusher DE/OLB Reed. Or, they may simply upgrade interior offensive line getting G Watkins to replace probably gone LG Colledge or get versatile OT Sherrod to play LT. Or, they may even trade back into round two. Finally, the draft could see several Packers reaches and sleepers in the later rounds. In a way, the pros are right describing the draft as a carp shoot. Fans, what do you think?