Joe Flacco expressed disappointment about the Ravens’ intentions to wait on a contract extension until next offseason according to Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun. Flacco, who enters the final year of his contract in 2012, believes he deserves an extension this offseason after leading the Ravens to the playoffs for three straight seasons.
“I think I’ve established myself,” Flacco said at Haruki Nakamura’s Japan relief charity event at Ripken Stadium Saturday. “If you’re not confident with who I am, I’m not sure what a year is going to make.”
Flacco added, “Ideally for me, I would like to start talks this year. Next year, I feel like they would have to throw something in front of me that’s going to be pretty legit in order for me to not play out my fifth year. If you don’t sign me this year, you’re making me play a whole year of my contract with no security. If you want to sign me after next year, what’s playing six more months.”
Flacco, 26, is the Ravens’ all-time leading passer in yards (10,206), TD passes (60), completions (878) and attempts (1,416). He is just the third starting quarterback since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger to reach the playoffs in his first three NFL seasons, joining Bernie Kosar and Dan Marino.
Last season, Flacco ranked in the top 11 in the NFL in completion percentage, passing yards, touchdowns and quarterback rating. In the playoff win at Kansas City, Flacco recorded a quarterback rating of 115.4, a Ravens’ postseason record.
At the NFL owners meetings last month, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said that he would “anticipate” an extension for Flacco next year. “Our goal is to get it done for 2012 for sure,” Bisciotti said.