Steelers RB Mendenhall Slammed for Comparing the NFL to Slavery

Seems that lately NFL players are starting to try and make comparisons of the current NFL lockout to that of slavery. First it was Adrian Peterson, Vikings running back, who said via Twitter – “It’s modern-day slavery, you know?”

Then it was Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall, who opened up another can of worms with the following Tweet. “Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel each other.”

Uh oh.

Mendenhall took a lot of shot for the comments, and now is trying to explain what he meant by the comments, stating that he in no way meant the NFL was like slavery.

“If you look back and dissect what I said, I [didn't] say that the NFL was slavery, I said that they parallel each other. Look up the word parallel.”

“This means that they’re not the same thing, but they run the same course. These paths will never cross, but they mirror each other.”

“I could break down how, but that would take an amount of ideology and big words that a lot of you wouldn’t understand.”

Mendenhall in the past has been nothing but well spoken and usually is a good interview. Why he would try to jump on Peterson’s comments is beyond me. Seems that this lockout is starting to get the better of players to the point where they have lost their minds and are starting to say things that make no sense whatsoever.

Hopefully the rash of feedback that Mendenhall is getting will tell him that he should just do what most players are doing – stay quiet and let this thing play out.

9 Responses to “Steelers RB Mendenhall Slammed for Comparing the NFL to Slavery”

1. Mike_in_Kyiv says:

I think you need to get Jimmy The Greek to arbitrate this one. Both sides are a bunch of spoiled over-indulged brats. It’s comments like this that turn me off to US football and has made me change sport to European football. Rozell ruined the game with parity and now the “equals” are not happy about the bazillions they make and the owners continue to want the moon. It’s a business model whose forgotten the fan.

2. Renegade says:

This type of comment comes from an individual who has no explanation for what he said. Mendenhall is a fool.

3. topcook says:

It’s clear that NFL players live in a parallel universe. I will break it down in words that any NFL player can understand, particularly the “typically well spoken” Rashard Mendenhall.

You get paid millions of dollars to stay in shape and play a game that shows your physical talents, living a comfortable lifestyle to care for your family.

The rest of us get paid thousands of dollars to try and stay in shape and take care of our family as well, but not with the same creature comforts that you can afford.

You see, your life and my life are not the same, but they run the same course.

How about this; save the millions you’re making today and not worry about how much more the owners may or may not be making.

Even more interesting proposition; quit playing football, get a job in corporate America and see if it’s any different than the NFL. I’ll give you a clue; it’s not, you just don’t make as much money.

I don’t really care what you do, but slavery ended in the late 1860′s and I’m sick of hearing about it 150 years later. You have a choice. Exercise your freedom and shut the h*** up. Please.

4. Donnie says:

Well said topcook. There are many Americans struggling everyday just trying to keep there families fed and a roof over their head. I don’t have the luxury of banking millions of dollars for playing a game. These athletes are spoiled and have a sense of entitlement. If I were to go to my employer and ask him to open the books so I could see what he was making I assure you I would be looking for a new job.I say let the players walk and bring in walk ons and undrafted college players who appreciate the golden opportunity laid at their feet.

5. Losing interest says:

I feel SOOOO bad for these poor guys! They drive home from practice in their Escalades and Navigators and park them in the 12-car garage in between the Ferrari and Porsche at their multi-million dollar estates.
    Slavery, indeed!

And don’t go thinking I’m siding with the owners, either. Those guys try to hold our cities hostage every other year with their “If you don’t build us a new billion-dollar stadium (a structure that’s only used around a dozen days a year), we’re going to go somewhere else.”

Life is just so hard in the NFL.

6. Pittguy says:

Mendenhall,

Your insight is out of sight,out of mind.

7. Justin_Credible says:

Welcome to the Hall of Idiots, Mendy! All you fools playing in the NFL would do well to shut your pieholes and stop reminding everyone of just how much of a stupid ingrate you are.

8. BigMan says:

I take solace in the fact that if he couldn’t run a football he would be serving me at the drive in windows of a fast food restaurant.

9. Chris Bach says:

It doesn’t offend me at all what Mendenhall and Peterson are saying. I use hyperbole every day at work and at home. I’m sure someone has explained to them, if they didn’t already know, that slavery was a far greater suffering than theirs is.