There were no Buccaneers voted to play in this year’s Pro Bowl. I think this could be due to five different factors:
1. Injuries and depth chart. Aqib Talib likely would have been in. If Blount had been starting the whole year, he would have gotten the nod.
2. Strong competition at QB. The NFC has a lot of good ones this year and Freeman’s best performance happened after the voting.
3. Lack of visibility among fans. They were rarely broadcast in a lot of markets.
4. Lack of respect. Maybe some coaches and players were unimpressed by them.
5. Team concept. They gel well together with few stars.
I do think you could make a case that Mike Williams was snubbed for the more well-known Desean Jackson – whose return TD might have been called off if the refs had noticed players already on the field before he reached the end zone.
I think they are equal on the explosive scale and I think Williams draws more double teams. Desean bested his yards per reception of last year with a league-leading 22.8. However, that means he has fewer first downs than most receivers. He makes a big impact, but has been neutralized in several games.
Desean has 8 total TDs despite missing two games. Mike Williams has 10 TDs in an offense that throws less. I’m not sure where Jackson was when people voted, but he’s 5th in the NFC in receiving yards, Williams is 9th. Jackson has 32 first down grabs, Williams has 42.