Second-half Miscues Snub Seattle’s Comeback Chance in New Orleans

In the final minute and 54 seconds of the first half, Matt Hasselbeck led the Seattle Seahawks’ offense to 10 points and cut his team’s deficit in New Orleans to 11; however that same unit was the main culprit in a second-half collapse as the Saints beat the Seahawks 34-19.

After New Orleans scored on its opening drive of the second half with a 32-yard pass-and-catch from Drew Brees to Robert Meachem to extend the Saints’ lead to 34-16, Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch ended Seattle’s opportunity to respond. On the Seahawks’ second play of its drive, the running back scooted 17 yards up field to the Saints’ 48-yard line where safety Roman Harper stripped Lynch of the ball and recovered it.

New Orleans marched down the field and was looking to strengthen its command of the game following the turnover, but a David Hawthorne interception near the goal line gave the Seahawks second life.

Ten plays later, though, that life came to an end. Lynch, on the receiving end of a two-yard pass from Hasselbeck, fumbled the ball away again – this time to the Saints’ Scott Shanle.

Following the turnover, the Saints maneuvered the football 48 yards to the Seattle nine where, on fourth-and-five with 12:35 remaining in the game, Garrett Hartley bounced a 27-yard field goal attempt off the left upright.

While New Orleans failed to capitalize off the miscues, the Saints’ offense ate up much-needed time off the game clock. Eight minutes and 18 seconds – over a quarter of the second half – was taken away.

Seattle’s only second-half points came on the next possession, a 20-yard field goal by Olindo Mare.

The win improves New Orleans to 7-3, while Seattle falls to 5-5.

Just under eight minutes into the game, the Seahawks got onto the scoreboard first thanks to Mare and a 20-yard conversion. It was the first of three field goals the 15-year veteran would make in the first half and of four overall.

The Seahawks’ only touchdown of the game came one play after the two-minute warning in the first half when quarterback Matt Hasselbeck found wide receiver Ben Obomanu for a two-yard touchdown to cut New Orleans’ lead to 21-13.

It would take the Drew Brees-led Saints offense just 54 seconds after that to score its fourth touchdown of the opening half. Facing second-and-five from the Seattle 22, the reigning Super Bowl MVP quarterback connected with wideout Marques Colston with relative ease for the receiver’s second 20-plus-yard score of the day.

Brees would go on to finish the game completing 29 of 43 pass attempts for 382 yards and four touchdowns. He was also intercepted twice.

Can’t get enough NFLGridironGab? Follow SeahawksGab Editor Devon Heinen on Twitter at

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to NFL Gridiron Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

Comments are closed.