Jclombardi reviews final Chiefs preseason game.
Guest senior writer jclombardi @ http://lombardiave.com
Summary: Thursday evening, in the final exhibition game, the Packers offense, without QB Rodgers and many starters who didn’t suit up for the final preseason game, struggled getting only one touchdown as the Packers fell to the Chiefs 17-13. Chiefs QBs Cassel and Croyle each led touchdown drives leading the Chiefs past the Packers.
Headlines: Chiefs 17, Packers 13. Several starters sit, offense struggles in loss. McCarthy on roster cuts: Its the worst time of year. Notebook: Flynn Replaces Rodgers. Notebook: Shields gets longer look with Woodson out. Backups get the call in lackluster preseason finale. Last chance for Packers’ bubble players. Trade talk centers on Spitz. Insider: Starters didnt miss much. Packers hardly bother in last exhibition game.
5. Dare I say Jarrett Bush had a decent game? He definitely stated his case for a roster spot with an interception and flying all over the field. But if he is our Nickel back against the Eagles we are in trouble [actually Bush missed several open field tackles].
1. Bush continued to play ahead of Pat Lee at cornerback and for the first time in history, actually looked like a decent NFL cornerback. Bush intercepted a pass in the first quarter and had solid coverage on Dwayne Bowe on a deep ball, which is an area he usually fails in.
2. Flynn looks like a real NFL quarterback. Not only did he look poised in the pocket, but he delivered balls accurately, often into tight coverage, and was impressive in making his reads. The only complaint about Flynn is he didn’t throw a touchdown and he could have done better in the red zone, but his receivers could have done better, too.
3. Poppinga looked like crap. Granted, he was playing with scrubs and didn’t get much help, but he gets blocked out of running plays or overpursues far too often. If Poppinga has to be anything more than a situational pass rusher, the Packers are in trouble.
5. Masthay has won the punting job. He hit a long of 51 yards on Thursday while Bryan’s long was only 37. Also, Masthaykicked off and it seems he could fill that duty more than adequately once the regular season begins.