Wow, what a great hour of television.
I think they should rename the show the “Rex Ryan Show.”
Uh oh, I think I just gave VH1 an idea for a reality show.
Rex was without question the star of the show and he didn’t disappoint.
Good thing this show is on HBO, or else we would all still be hearing the bleep noise in our heads.
In Rex’s first speech about team expectations he dropped a staggering 11 curses and he didn’t stop there.
The show obviously focused on the Darrelle Revis holdout, but didn’t beat it to death like the newspapers do.
They showed the much talked about meeting at Roscoe diner, though the cameras were not inside for the actual meeting. They did catch Tannenbaum’s comments after.
“They haven’t said one thing that i agree with at all… We’re so far apart I feel like a failure… I feel like we’ve tried everything… I wish i had another card to play here… A one-year deal… A four-year deal… A 10 year deal.”
It was depressing to watch, and it finally sunk in with me that we might be without our best player for a long time. Though, still a little part of me believes this is partly a publicity stunt for Revis to get his name out there and for Hard Knocks.
Some other notes and highlights:
- HBO decided to use Eminem’s “Not Afraid” as background music as the Jets took the practice field for the first time. As if I hadn’t heard that song enough.
- The coaches laughing at readers suggestions for a caption for a picture posted from ESPN’s AFC East blog. My favorite was Vernon Gholston got a sack.
- Tannenbaum after Santonio Holmes makes an impressive catch in practice: “Number 10, man who traded for him? That’s a smart son of a b**ch that guy was.”
- It was funny watching Kevin Basped and Aaron Kia knowing they were going to be cut. Although they spent probably a little too much time on them. That was the only time when I felt the show lagged. This should also end all the speculation that Basped will end up on the practice squad. It looks like his NFL career is over before it ever started. Also this quote by Rex won’t do much to help Aaron Kia find another job. “This 76 (Kia) is awful, oh my god is he bad.”
- I loved the coaches looking at the video of outside linebackers coach Jeff Weeks locker, showing that he had tanning spray.
- Possession of tanning spray is a $5 fine as is running without your shirt on.
- Bart Scott calling Sanchez “Nacho” had me in stitches.
- If Mark Sanchez can’t cut it at quarterback, maybe the Jets should convert him to wide receiver. Or maybe just switch his hands with Braylon’s
- Mark Sanchez has learned to slide! The crowd cheered and he took a bow.
- Joe Namath showed up to camp. He had his collar popped and his shorts up to his nipples. When he suggested that the quarterback’s change their hands when they take a snap, the coaches and players seemed to be just yessing him.
- Kris Jenkins is one scary dude. Seeing him in those goal line drills, I would be terrified to go up against him.
- Tannenbaum took a spill as he fell backward trying to field a punt. Rex made sure the cameras caught that.
- It seems like the position battle they will focus on will be the one at fullback, if you can even call it a competition. Tony Richardson and John Connor are both virtual locks to make the team, so I don’t know what the production crew was thinking. Though, the praise kept coming for Connor. He looks like a definite keeper.
- The look on Bart Scott’s face when players were using a leg roller in the locker room was priceless.
- L.T. caught a 70 yard touchdown on the first play of the inter-squad scrimmage.
- All this action and yet we have yet to or barely heard from Shonn Greene, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, D’Brickasahw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, and David Harris, among many others.
- I was also surprised that they didn’t mention the left guard position battle. Hopefully the will focus on it as the show progresses.
Top 5 Rex Ryan Quotes
5. “Last year, hey we were under the radar that’s a good place to be. F**k that the best place to be is when expectations are high.”
4. “Revis? Where are you?” (knocks on door) “I wish. Come home, Revis. Come home.”
3. “Great job. We’re right where we wanna be. No question about that. Enjoy this time, get away from it. No matter what your doing, it’s better than my f**king vacation. I’m cruising the Baltic with my in-laws and sh*t.”
2. “This will be some light reading for you. It’s every negative article they wrote about us. Just a little poop material.”
1. “Hey, guys, we don’t have Revis in this building right now.” “Does it matter that Revis is not here? Goddamn, he’s pretty f**king good. He’s pretty good, OK? But you know what guys? It isn’t about one guy, its about leading the league in f**ing wins.”
On the next episode of Hard Knocks look for the camera to be on special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, Mark Brunell, and wait for it…Vernon Gholston.