Steelers Rooney repsonds to fans issues with Ben Roethlisberger

It sounds like from this letter that Deadspin got their hands on that Art Rooney II is starting to get a little tired of fans beating on the clubs franchise QB. Rooney sounds like while he’s still very peeved in every way about what Ben did, he sounds like he realizes it’s time to start looking ahead and putting what happened in early March aside.

Art Rooney II has been vocal about his disappointment in quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s off-field behavior and continues to condemn him both publicly, and in letters to concerned fans. The letter reads: “Thank you for your letter regarding Ben Roethlisberger. All of us in the Steelers family are concerned about the recent behavior of Ben in Georgia. I am certainly as concerned as you about our players’ behavior. I believe we have made it clear to Ben and all of our players, that there will be consequences for behavior that does not meet our standards,” the letter starts. The vast majority of our players are good people people who work hard to be the best that they can be.” In a telephone survey performed during the two days before Ben Roethlisberger was suspended by the NFL, 23% of people identifying themselves as Steelers fans said they wanted the quarterback traded.

13 Responses to “Steelers Rooney repsonds to fans issues with Ben Roethlisberger”

1. Jeff says:

It’s time for the real Steeler fans to forgive and forget. Ben did something wrong now lets get on with the upcoming season. He is still one of the best QB’s in the league and deserves a chance to prove that.

2. Susan Capozzoli says:

True contrition is needed here and I just don’t see it. I want to continue seeing gold towels waiving all around the country and the world and don’t want to see the kind of signs we’re likely to see if Ben can’t demonstrate change. Our Steeler pride is bigger than Ben.

3. YES WE NEED TO GET OVER WHAT HAPPEN WITH BEN I THINK BY NOW HE GETS IT! I SURELY WOULD. THIS TEAM NEED TO UNITE,AS WELL AS THE STEELER NATION DOES..

4. Judy says:

I think we need to focus more on Ben taking us to Superbowl….not on his shortcomings.
    Which by the way, we all have in one way or another. I still love you Ben!

5. HE IS O-U-R QB, Now is the time to think football and to be of one mind set “STEELERS”There is alot of FANS of other teams that would be very happy if “OUR QB” was traded. And also they very much like the unrest on the air waves. SO chill out and lets focus on the future.Starting today!!!!!

6. Paulette Jesko says:

Now is the time for the true Steeler Fans to forgive and forget. Ben has been given his penalty and is willing to change. Which one of us was not a stupid young kid at sometime? Ben is our quarterback and there is none better. Its time to unite as Steeler fans and back Ben in the coming season. Back off of the stupid signs and ignorant remarks. Remember there was only one perfect person in this world and he was hung on a cross.

7. Big Daddy says:

You hear all kinds of off the field distractions around the NFL each and every year. It is shameful these guy’s who are the role models for a younger generation to do such STUPID childish acts. I agree with what the Rooney’s did. The punishment should have cost Ben more. I agree that to be a Steeler you should be held to a higher standard. We as fans for the past 45 years have always had huge expectations and high standards for our teams. Ben may or may not have issues with the ladies. If he is guilty then punish him for it. In our society there are folks out there looking for that free ride. I believe where Ben has failed is putting himself in those situations. He needs to grow up and act like the champion to whom he is employeed by. There are many names who I remember as a kid growing up in Pittsburgh, Ham, Lambert, Mean Joe, Bradshaw, Swan and Stallworth. What about Noll and Cower keeping their teams in control. It is of my opinion that the head coach who instills these values and team tradition into the players. As my father told me numerous times “you need to straighten up and fly right”. I would like to say the same words to Ben. If he should prove he wants to be that of a ladies man and act like a horses
    a– than leave Pittsburgh. I say let’s leave well enough alone, he is innocent until proven guilty so lets play football!!!!!!!!

8. jmk says:

I am a Steeler fan that relocated to South Florida. I am proud to be a Pittsburgh native, a loyal Steeler fan and Ben’s fan as well. Lets see what he does to change. Now lets play football! When your from The Burg, you stick together. That’s just the way it is! I went to the Steeler game in Miami and a Miami fan asked me if he was in Miami or Pittsburgh. I told him no matter what state the Steelers play in, it’s Pittsburgh. Whoever is now living in Pittsburgh and does not support the team and Ben should move, but not to South Florida.

9. christine says:

I love ben and I love the steelers I never realize how many people live in glass houses because noone is perfect but the goodman who made us forgive is word judge lest ye be judge move on I want to hear postive news I want hear new news good news mr rooney please forgive god tells us so

10. Kimberly says:

Love Ben?? Do you know him personally? I am sure you don’t. How can you love someone you have no idea how he is like behind closed doors? If he does start behaving it is only because he fears his career will be over. That is really not him we have found out over the past couple months who he really is!!! Do you think it will be easy for the victim to forget?? I don’t think so!!

11. Judy says:

Did you forget that Ben was never charged with a crime? So how can you say that she was a victim? No matter what Ben should be given the chance to redeem himself. No one person is perfect. Not you, not me.

12. Erica says:

I think we should just let this go. Ben knows that what he did was wrong and is owing up to not being the role model for our children that he should be. I think that we all just need to give him a chance to prove to us on and off the field that he’s a stand up guy. One that we can and will be proud of again. I have been a steeler fan for 39 years back when Bradshaw was on top. I th ink everyone forgot about him beating his wife and being a drunk. But you know that didn’t stop us then and this shouldn’t stop us from being the BEST DAMN FANS that this league has ever seen.

13. Jeff says:

How about this: GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!