As was expected, Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger is free of any charges today, this after the attorney general in Milledgeville, Ga., announced charges will not follow the accusations of sexual assault made by a 20-year-old woman.
“The sexual allegation against Mr. Roethlisberger cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt,” District Attorney Fred Bright said. “Therefore, there will be no arrest made, nor criminal prosecution of Mr. Roethlisberger for his actions here on March 5, 2010.”
Bright stated that the woman was examined at a hospital after the alleged attack. A doctor could not say whether a superficial laceration, bruising and slight bleeding in the genital area were evidence of an assault or sexual activity. He said the woman was highly intoxicated during the night of bar hopping with her sorority sisters from the Georgia College & State University.
After the woman emerged from the nightclub bathroom, her sisters took her to a police officer. He initially asked her if she had been raped, and she said no. But she later wrote statements saying there had been sex. Her claim was that Roethlisberger followed her into the bathroom and they had sex despite her saying it wasn’t OK.
In the end though, the QB is not going to face charges, which is a big sigh of relief for both he and the Steelers. Bright though did advise the two-time Super Bowl winning QB to “grow up.” That’s probably the same message commissioner Roger Goodell will send the QB this week when they meet.
He may not only say that though, as some seem to feel that he will slap the QB with a suspension for his conduct, which has now put the team in the limelight for all the wrong reasons twice over the past two offseasons.