Redskins with decisions to make in terms of “old” running backs

The Redskins have a choice to make for themselves, and it amounts to this:

Do we want two 30 year old running backs in decline on our 53 man roster next year?

After releasing Ladell Betts last week, I have to think that the Redskins have made up their minds that they are committed to going younger and will look to draft their next RB.  But their actions seem to conflict that notion, as both the Bengals/Chiefs’ RB Larry Johnson and the Steelers’ Willie Parker have come to town looking for jobs.

First, let’s tackle Willie Parker – he isn’t 30 yet but he sure isn’t getting any younger at age 29, and his numbers on the field aren’t getting any better with age either.  Yes, he’s been seasoned on a winning Pittsburgh team.  However, just in case you were wondering, Parker failed to log a single rushing touchdown last year. NOT ONE. And of course we all remember that Parker lost his starting position to the 22 year old Rashard Mendenhall who had a break out 1,100+ yard season and 7 touchdowns in only 12 starts of his second season. After that season, wouldn’t you be left deflated?

Speaking of which, that takes us to RB Larry Johnson.  Over 14 starts — 7 for the Bengals, 7 for the Chiefs…. ZERO touchdowns. After that showing for two different teams/schemes in 2009 wouldn’t you be embarrassed?  How about emasculated?

I know I would, and that’s why I think the Redskins would be wise to steer clear of the sinking ships that are Willie Parker and Larry Johnson…. and look for more youthful, greener pastures in the draft.

For crying out loud, Ladell Betts had 2 starts and 2 touchdowns and HE GOT FIRED!!  What more is there to say?

There is no room for backtracking in the RB department for the Redskins in 2010 – because the sad fact is that Clinton Portis’ best years are behind him as well. The Redskins need a young and hungry rookie to come in and provide a spark to this offense, and it’s not going to come from a former workhorse RB in decline.

Nothing is set in stone, nothing is signed – but for a team that is supposed to be committed to rebuilding their team with youth via the draft, bringing in 2 different running backs aged 30 doesn’t sit well with me. Just sayin…

Am I the only one that feels this way?

7 Responses to “Redskins with decisions to make in terms of “old” running backs”

1. Lawrence Berg says:

Yes, you are right. I can’t even believe Shanahan is givein these guys interviews. Betts is a better back by far.

2. Paul Sanchez says:

Too bad we couldn’t go after that kid outa Fresno State. I do agree with you as well

3. cesar says:

Uh.. I don’t think I fully agree. Yea the notion that 30 as a running back is old. But, that fact does not mean they’re completely washed up. In two veteran backs you have shared time and quality experience. At 30, you can definitely get into a solid shape and become stronger than when you were 25. In this case, I don’t think signing another veteran will cause the skins not to draft youth. They still can. If they do, and share time with one solid performing back it could be valuable experience simply talking to those guys everyday in practice. Heck, I’m not saying going veteran is the way to go. I’m saying the Larry Johnson was a great back and so was Clinton Portis. And, I’m saying they still have potential at 30 to have another great season. I also feel Johnson has proven himself much more than Betts and he’s a much better back. For the Skins, it has potential for working out well.

4. Dick says:

I agree, Portis is finished. We need young

RBs that will practice – not like Portis.

Also, get rid of Campbell and get someone who can put some spark in the offense. Whether Campbell throws a touchdown or interception he has the same attitude. We need a little spark back there.

5. andrew says:

the redskins will not benefit from signing a willie parker or a larry johnson.

it’s a wasted season at running back if they continue to bring in over the hill players at a premium and watch them catch an injury and limp along while they collect their paycheck.

young, hungy players with something to prove at little monetary cost are what is going to get it done.

6. The Guru says:

As a life-long Dallas Cowboys fan since 1960, it just doesn’t get much better than this. You go, Daniel. Keep doing EXACTLY what you’ve been doing in recent years. It leaves one less division opponent to worry about…

7. Allan says:

I dont care about the signings of old worn out backs, but the release of betts and the team still keeping cambell?! i mean come on, betts is great! give him more carriers and let go of the stupid cry baby who will never be good in the nfl. atleast w/the redskins