The Dolphins have been busy so far tonight, working on contracts for several players. Find out the details below:
Pennington Deal At A Fork In The Road:
- Once believed to be all but a certainty coming back to Miami, Chad Pennington is asking for a no trade clause in his contract now, to assure him that he will not have to move his young family from his home in Miami. Pennington and the Dolphins are close to signing a 1 year, $2.5 million deal, but CP10 is pushing for the clause that appears to be the last remaining road block on the road to re-signing Pennington.
Nate Jones To Visit Denver:
- According to Omar Kelly’s Twitter page, Dolphins free agent cornerback Nate Jones has a visit to Denver set up to meet with the Broncos staff at some point this weekend. The Dolphins and Jones have not been talking a contract since the deal broke down a couple weeks ago. The Dolphins, and myself would like to see Jones back in a Dolphins uniform next year, but they will not break the bank for this guy, who is no more than a nickel back who can play special teams.
Antrel Rolle Talks Heating Up:
- Antrel Rolle was in Miami tonight, watching the Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers game. At this same time, his agent was negotiating a deal with the Chicago Bears, and was fielding a 5 year offer from the Dolphins. This offer though is believed to be below the $8 million that Rolle wants in his new deal.
- Rolle has gone public, saying that he wants to be in Miami, but will he take a deal that is generously lower than what he wants, and was asking for?
Dansby Sweepstakes Taking a Turn For the Best:
- In a turn for the best tonight, Karlos Dansby has gone on record saying that he will be boarding a plane on Friday to come down to Miami, to see “how he fits in”.
- The Dolphins have already offered Dansby a deal, and this is the chief reason why he is hopping a plane today.
- Dansby had this to say on his free agent experience so far, and who he is favoring at this point:
“But Washington is definitely a place I’m looking at. My gate is wide open right now. I’m going to take every visit. I’m going in to every team to see what type of the piece of the puzzle will I be. I want to fit in just right. I want to be in a perfect situation and do my part. That’s what I’m looking for in these organizations. I’m still waiting on my agent to text me back about [visits] as we speak, but Miami is definitely one of ’em right now. I’m going to go down there to see how I would fit in Miami.”
- The Dolphins are Dansby’s first visit, and I think that they will not let him leave without a multi-year deal, which is what NFL.com’s Steve Wyche believes as well. Dansby would be a perfect fit in the Dolphins 3-4 at ILB. Does he really think that he can fit in on the Redskins, who have named Dansby as their fallback plan, if they fail to sign Julius Peppers to a deal? I would be insulted if I were Dansby, and this may be the final factor in Dansby potentially getting a deal done with Miami.
- Yet another factor in the complicated equation of signing Dansby is the Redskins and Julius Peppers. There are reports out that state that the Peppers sweepstakes is the Chicago Bears to lose. I mentioned earlier that the Redskins fallback option is Dansby, and if the Bears were to sign Peppers relatively quickly, that would direct their attention to Dansby, and complicate things. The Dolphins need to feel a sense of urgency here, and get the deal done with Karlos, pronto!
This is all for now, there will be more throughout the day as the news comes in.