The period to sign free agents for the upcoming 2010-11 season is almost here. We are less than four hours away as I write this free agent primer.
Before the signing period does start though, here are a couple things that you will need to know before 12 o’clock midnight strikes:
Chad Pennington Likely To Be Back In Miami Next Year:
- According to multiple reports, both veteran quarterback Chad Pennington and the Miami Dolphins are set to agree on a contract that will bring CP10 back as Chad Henne’s backup, and mentor for at least next season. Barring something unforeseen that it is. But I think that we get this deal done at some point in the upcoming days, and try and trade Tyler Thigpen for some draft picks, maybe a 3rd or 4th.
Karlos Dansby Is Not Flying To Miami Tonight?
- Despite what a prior report today by the National Football Post had said, soon free agent to be, Karlos Dansby, will not be flying down on a plane to Miami tonight. We did not even know what he would be doing down in Miami, although it would most likely be signing a contract with us! If this leak of information is false, and Dansby really is coming down to Miami tonight, then I expect us to sign him to a contract by dawn. There is no way that the Trifecta lets Dansby out of Miami without signing him.
Oshiomogho Atogwe Coming To Miami?
- The St. Louis Rams have low balled Oshiomogho Atogwe so far this season, with a deal that he does not like. He will be hitting the free agent market tonight at 12 am, and some expect the Dolphins to pursue this intriguing free safety. But despite some people’s thinking behind this, the probability of this happening will not happen. For one, Atogwe is one of the very few free safeties that is ranked lower than Gibril Wilson in pass coverage. So, I do not expect the Dolphins to pursue Atogwe whatsoever. The only free agent free safety that we would talk to at all is this guy:
Antrel Rolle, Dolphins In Talks:
- According to Armando Salguero’s Twitter page, three teams are in talks with free agent free safety Antrel Rolle. Since Rolle’s contract with the Arizona Cardinals was terminated, teams are free to negotiate with his agent on contract talks. The Bears and the Dolphins are two of the three teams that are believed to be in talks with Rolle at this point in time. But for the Dolphins to sign him, he would have to take a generous pay cut, as there is no way that the Dolphins would pay him $8 million a year, or even close to that. They only paid Gibril Wilson $5.5 million last year per year, so the Dolphins would have to cut Wilson, to sign Rolle. Even though it is an uncapped year, the Dolphins have imposed an internal cap quota, in the case that a cap does come back to the NFL at some point in time. But I’m not sure what the Dolphins have in mind with Rolle quite yet.
Jamal Williams Released:
- Former San Diego Chargers defensive tackle Jamal Williams is on the free agent market, and the Dolphins could show interest. But, according to a report by the Miami Herald’s Armando Salguero, the Dolphins have shown no interest in him, and he will most likely not be coming to Miami, as he is 33, and would only be a temporary fix. The Dolphins are looking for a long term solution at this point in time.
That’s it for now. Stay tuned throughout the night for the latest updates on what the Dolphins are doing on the first day of free agency.
- The Dolphins are one of three teams that are heavily chasing free safety Antrel Rolle, along with the Chicago Bears, and the New York Giants. As each second goes by, and more news pours in, I want this guy more and more!