The release of Dolphins disgruntled linebacker lasted less than three hours on Friday, as the team announced that the move was “determined to be an invalid termination. Therefore at this time, Porter reverts back to the Miami Dolphins roster.” The Dolphins declined to elaborate, as did the NFL.
“It’s a club matter,” league spokesman Greg Aiello said. Porter’s agent didn’t respond to phone messages. The hitch may have involved NFL salary-cap rules, and Porter is still expected to be released or traded in the next few weeks.
A four-time Pro Bowl linebacker named in January to the NFL’s All-Decade team, Porter campaigned last week to be waived. In broadcast interviews he said he was frustrated about his reduced role in 2009 and doubted his relationship with coach Tony Sparano could be repaired.
As his role diminished, Porter said, he talked with Sparano only on Sundays and stopped speaking with general manager Jeff Ireland and football czar Bill Parcells. Porter said he was the Dolphins’ best outside linebacker and unhappy about being replaced by pass-rush specialist Cameron Wake in some situations. He said he wanted to go to a team where he could play every down.