St.Louis Rams May Have a New Owner Soon

UPDATE: Another potential owner as pointed out by 2xAught7 on Twitter is Texas billionaire Gerald Ford (no relation to the former president).  Charlie Casserly of CBS mentioned Ford’s name in November as associated with a bid for the Rams.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch has learned that the Rams ownership group of Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez, children of the late Rams owner, Georgia Frontiere, have 3 offers on the table from potential owners.  They will decide to take one of those offers by April or decide to keep the team. The Rosenbloom/Rodriguez group owns 60% of the Rams and Stan Kroenke (owner of the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche and part of Arsenal in England) owns 40%.

This is huge news for the Rams and their fans as 2 of the owners are unknown and the 3rd possible owner is St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts and his financing group.  1 of the 3 offers is for 100% of Rams including Kroenke’s stake as well.  We are going to quickly speculate that the 100% offer is not from Dave Checketts group and he was having trouble finding big money investors to join his group.

More after the jump.

An additional worry for St. Louis Rams fans is that each of the 3 bidders is interested in keeping the team in St. Louis “in varying degrees”.  Which means that amongst the 3 bidders, Dave Checketts wants to keep the team in St. Louis, another owner is on the fence about keeping the team in St. Louis and a third bidder wants to move the team to LA or London or Moscow or Shanghai the first chance they get in 2014.

Rams Herd has a wonderful recap about why the Rams should stay in St. Louis rather than LA. If you are a St. Louis Rams fan, it is definitely worth your while.

Another wrinkle that complicates the deal is Mr. Stan Kroenke.  We have looked at Stan Kroenke in the past here at Rams Gab and always associated with the pending sale of the Rams.  With his 40% stake, he has right of first refusal for purchasing the Rams, but the NFL’s current rules prevent him from owning the majority of the Rams because he owns NBA and NHL franchises in Denver.  So, he could opt to sell his stake when the other 60% is sold, potentially torpedoing any bidder that has enough money for 60% and not enough for 100% of the Rams.

This is an extremely complicated situation with a lot of moving parts, but the Rams ownership are looking to resolve this by the NFL draft.  There will be a lot of intrigue and backroom drama from now until then, but when it happens it will be good to have it behind us and behind the Rams.

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to NFL Gridiron Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

One Response to “St.Louis Rams May Have a New Owner Soon”

  1. arm13 says:

    The situation in St. Louis is complicated. The thing that is more frustrating is that the fans are left to imagine all sorts of scenarios. It is exactly the same thing we went through in L.A., not fun and I don’t wish that on any fan. Kroenke probably will sell his 40%, I say this only because he wants to buy a majority piece of the Arsenal soccer team, it’s estimated value in 1.2 bil it may be more now. Expect the new comer’s from Illinois to make a good offer, and as I have said before. If Ed Roski has an offer on the table he will eventually bring the team to L.A. No one will tip their hand at this point, bargaining leverage and such, keep us updated, and if you find out who the other bidder is, please let us know. RAMS FOREVER