Now that Dick Jauron is no longer the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, there are rumblings – chiefly from team owner Ralph Wilson – that there very well could be changes within the entire organization. Suffice it to say, no one’s job appears to be safe.
According to Wilson:
“I tell you, we have a lot of work to do. We’ve got to revamp and take a look at the whole operation and that’s what we’re going to do.”
He further added that every position within the Bills organization will be reviewed, which sounds to me that pink slips will be issued at the end oif this season. Probably the question that has been asked of Wilson, especially recently, is whether the Bills are in the market for a high-profile coach or retain current interim head coach Perry Fewell. Wilson’s reply?
“It’s not about money, it’s about winning. If it was about money, we wouldn’t have brought in and paid for somebody we know was a great player. Anybody that says I’m cheap is looking down the wrong side of the street.”
I seriously doubt that Fewell will be retained; having said that, here is who is available who the Bills may want to look at:
* Bill Cowher. I don’t expect Cowher to be an analyst for CBS Sports for too much longer. Coaching is in his blood, and I would expect his family to sign off on his coaching in the future.
* Mike Shanahan. Shanny’s on a sabaticcal, of sorts. But you jsut know he has the itch to roam the sidelines again. The jury’s out as to whether his next stop is in Buffalo.
* Mike Holmgren. A perennial candidate, there is the possibility. Yet, it seems to me that Holmgren would rather be on the management side instead of coaching. Time will tell.
* Brian Billick. He needs to be on the sidelines. It wasn’t like he was an unsuccessful coach while with the Ravens. Besides, I am tired of looking at him doing Coors beer commercials.
* Jon Gruden. Chuckie just re-upped with ESPN, so he’s probably unavailable for the short-term future. However, like in any industry, contracts can be bought out easily, so don’t count out Gruden just yet.
Regardless of who the Bills hire, he definitely will not come cheap.