Well if you are the San Diego Chargers and you have been dealing with numerous injuries as well as their third slow start in three season, the best thing to make you feel better about yourself – go play the Kansas City Chiefs.
Philip River took apart the Chiefs defense, throwing for 268 yards and 3 touchdowns. Vincent Jackson lead the receivers with catches totaling 142 yards and he also scored 1 touchdown. Darren Sproles and Malcom Floyd added receiving TD’s. of their own. Rivers threw a couple a long passes today, a 51 yarder to Vincent Jackson and also one for 58 yards to Darren Sproles who took that one all the way for a touchdown.
LaDainian Tomlinson rushed for a season high 71 yards. Sproles added 41 rushing yards and even Philip Rivers gained 18 yards on the ground. The Chargers had a total of 135 yards rushing after averaging a league low 57 yards per game thus far this year.
The Chargers almost doubled the total offensive production of the Chiefs- 403 total yards for San Diego while Kansas City only was able to accumulate 203 total yards.
The Chargers defense, which has struggled all year, looked very impressive against Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel. Cassel was only 10/25 for a total of 97 yards passing and he threw for 3 interceptions. Tim Dobbins, Steve Gregory and Paul Oliver all picked off the Chiefs QB.
Kansas Citys offensive line had problems blocking for their quarterback, Steve Gregory and Eric Weddle each sacked Cassel and Shaun Phillips sacked him twice.
Nate Kaeding went 3/4 kicking field goals with the longest being 39 yards. Kaeding did miss an attempt from 43 yards today and he also appeared to have some trouble kicking off ball with several not traveling as far as usual.
Jacob Hester had an exciting play for the Special Teams unit today, blocking Dustin Colquit’s punt and chasing the ball into the end zone where he fell on top of it for a touchdown.
* It was a rainy day and with the game well in hand, Rivers left the game in the forth quarter and Billy Volek got a chance to see some action.
* Steve Gregory’s interception was the first of his career.
* Shawne Merriman, still without a sack this season, did appear to be regaining some of the speed and quickness of the past.
* Chargers continued to have trouble scoring touchdowns once they get into the Red zone.
* Cassel’s touchdown to Bowe was the first score for the Chiefs in over 6 quarters.