Time for Dallas to Start Looking at Other WR’s?

Cowboys Hurd Football
After the fourth game of the season it is completely obvious that the Cowboys are in desperate need of a playmaking receiver. Just a thought, last time I checked Matt Jones was still available. Jerry Jones needs to bite the bullet and bring this guy in. At the very least, the guy comes in and does exactly what the rest of these wide receivers are doing……..Nothing.

Then again, maybe the answer lies within the organization. It seems to me that the only thing that the Cowboys had to cheer about this past preseason was the unexpected play of rookie free agent receiver Kevin Ogletree. I have yet to see the rookie on the field during the regular season, but would definitely like to. Who knows, the young player that has everything to gain and nothing to lose could provide the spark that this team needs in the passing game. The fact is right now, Jason Witten is drawing the double coverage and the wide receivers are not beating the single coverage. And if the receivers can’t beat single coverage, then this team is in grave danger of finishing with a losing record for the first time in quite a while.

Whether the Cowboys hit the free agent market and sign a guy like Matt Jones, or they give the rookie free agent a shot when it counts, they absolutely need to do something in a hurry. If the offense continues to be non-productive in the passing game, teams are going to start loading the box and taking away the only threat the Cowboys offense poses, the run game. Make a move Jerry, the time is now!

9 Responses to “Time for Dallas to Start Looking at Other WR’s?”

1. The Guru says:

As an ORIGINAL Cowboy (with my Dad and Brother in the Cotton Bowl, 1960, Eddie LeBaron at QB), I place part of the blame on Romo’s inconsistency, Jason Garrett’s lack of a truly attacking offense, and Wade Phillips’ demeanor, looking lost or dismayed nearly all the time. True we’re not seeing guys get open, but when we are Tonys is missing them. I have yet to see Dallas throw quick-crossing patterns a la New England, which are super-high percentage and would tend to draw defenders closer to the line, strengthening the chance of a big play. The ‘Boys have lost some of their identity on offense. QUIT CLOGGING THE MIDDLE. Go deep and go shallow, which will create a middle Witten can exploit!

2. Don says:

EXACTLY……… I Posted this months ago! Matt is clean, in shape and ready to produce. It’s impossible to be any worse. Ogletree hasn’t proved anything, and is not the answer. Preseason doesn’t mean a thing just look at the rest of these scrubs. I’m going to say it again…..sign a player…SIGN MATT JONES!!!!

3. CCC says:

they still stink in the trenches

4. SIGN MJ! says:

It is beyond me that MJ has not been signed. He is a STILL a freak…6’6, 4.4, huge vertical leap. What is the deal? If Mike Vick paid his debt to society, then so has MJ. How does a guy go from being the best WR on an NFL franchise to sitting at home? You can’t tell me that he doesn’t fit in somewhere. MJ is better than EVERY reciever on the Raiders for God’s sakes!

5. BIG E says:

I really believe when someone does take a chance on Matt Jones there will be a lot of teams kicking themselves for not signing him first. Come on Jerry let’s do this!

6. Royce Midkiff says:

We need Matt Jones he is big Fast, we would own the red zone deep ball and the wild cat would be endless he was a really good QB once

7. Loonatikjenn says:

It almost looks like Matt will never play football in the NFL again. I am afraid he didnt take the opportunity he had with the Jags seriously enough.
    Here is hoping he gets another chance, he has learned his lesson.

8. jonsey says:

PULL THAT TRIGGER JERRAH!!! Matt would make a difference.

9. Judi Bowman says:

I had a breif encounter with Matt Jones not long ago. Doubt if he even remebers me, but I do him. I am likely old enough to be his grandmother. I have an extensive background working with people, and believe that this young man is truly regretful of the choices he made that brough him to his knees. He is a fantastic tallent and I believe that there are a lot of teams that are really missing the boat. I believe given another chance in the NFL, Matt would not only be an asset on the field, but that he would keep himself above reporach. I have had a burden on my hearet for this young man and can tell you he has paid dearly for his mistakes in judgement and behavior. I believe that there are a lot of teams that are going to wake up one day and decide that they have missed the boat by missing their opportunity to pick up this incredible tallent. The Dallas Cowboys need him like NOW….Come on Jerry and Staff. Give this kid a look and a 2nd chance. This team certainly needs him!!! Good luck Matt…I believe in you!! jj