Cheers and Jeers
I must say it is an odd feeling being a Bears fan lately. In watching the Bears stumble and bumble their way around the field in the beginning of the game to the tune of a 13-0 deficit, I was remarkably calm. After all, we have Jay Cutler… they don’t. The first quarter reminded me an awful lot of the 2007 and 2008 Chicago Bears. A team that screws up, a coach that makes bone-head calls (53 yard field goal?), and missed tackles abound. But as in the Steelers game, we got better. And I knew we would. Now onto my cheers and jeers.
1) Our Receivers: How about this? The entire off-season, all we heard was how bad our wide receivers were. I disagreed and said that they could be pretty good and everyone will be shocked. I think we could get a 1,000 yards out of Devin Hester this year or at least very close. Earl Bennett isn’t amazing me but he is getting the job done. He gets open and his report with Cutler is apparent. As for Johnny Knox, I am just impressed. Thus far this year he has a great long catch in Week 1, an all around great performance and huge TD in week 2, and a fancy little TD for seven yards in week 3. This kid is something special and gives us speed. And as we all know, speed kills. Just imagine what DBs are thinking with Knox and Hester on the field.
2) Our Tenacity: Around this time last year, we couldn’t close games. We blew more leads than Kevin Gregg (sorry Cubs fans… had to do it!) and our defense was collapsing late. This year, we’re hitting a stride in crucial points. This is two come backs in a row and our boys are looking their best in the 4th Quarter. And as I always say… “The 4th quarter’s our quarter!”
3) Ron Turner’s Play Calling: I was never quite sure what to think of him as a coordinator, probably because our offense never had a whole lot of weapons. But through 3 games, and especially this one, I like what I am seeing. The perfect illustration is the two point conversion on Sunday. Earl Bennett was wide open because it was a perfectly planned play called at the best moment. If you missed it, Knox and Bennett criss-cross tying up the corners and freeing number 80 for his first score. Brilliant!
1)The Run Game: Yup, once again, our run game looks flacid. I think they’ll get it together and we’ll be fine. But Omiyale looks so inconsistent it’s baffling. In looking at the run game he’ll ether be pushed around like rag doll or block three guys. I’d like to give Beekman a shot but the Bears brass will never do that. They paid Omiyale too much to have him be a back up.
2) Earl Bennett is a sissy!: There I said it. Is it just me or does he act like a scared child as soon as a defender gets anywhere near him. I can cite a couple of times where he just fell down or went to the side line instead of cutting back or plowing through the defense. You get paid a lot of money to take a hit, go earn it… ya sissy!
3) Our 1st quarter play: For three games now we’ve looked anywhere from bad to ghastly in the first quarter. In Seattle, we looked the latter. A missed field goal, an INT and a swiss cheese defense made me feel sick to my stomach. I was confident we’d turn it around but we need to come out swinging and connecting next week with the streaking (just kidding) Lions.