Let the hype, hysteria and over-reaction begin. After all of today’s games are complete, football pundits across the country will be over-reacting to wins, losses, player performances and coaching decisions. I can already see some of the headlines now:
“AP on pace for 3,000-yard season”
“Brees eyes 70 TDs”
“Jets hold high-scoring Texans O scoreless – comparisons to ’85 Bears begin”
“0-32 is a reality for Lions”
(Okay, so that last one may not be such a stretch.)
After scanning the early games from Sunday, here are some of my super-early impressions from across the league:
- The Vikings look scary good. Granted they played the Browns (quick, name one Browns defensive starter!), but the Vikes did what they were supposed to do. AP ran wild. The defense kept the Browns out of the end zone until a late garbage TD. And here’s the scariest part — Brett Favre DID NOT throw an interception.
- Jake Delhomme still looks lost. Or maybe he’s just color blind. In his last two home games, he’s thrown 9 INTs. His statline Sunday – 4 INTs, 3 sacks and a 14.7 QB rating. But maybe he really is the Cats best bet right now. Neither of the backups – Matt Moore (33.5 rating) and Josh McCown (39.6) – could muster a 40 QB rating.
- The Broncos look like God’s favorite team. I think the Big Man Upstairs felt sorry for the Broncos parting with a young, All-Pro QB. How else can you explain what happened in Cincy…Broncs lead the entire game until the last half-minute, Orton throws a desperation pass into triple coverage, Stokley catches the deflection and races downfield for an 87-yard TD with :11 remaining. Is Marvin Lewis familiar with the concept of the prevent defense?
- Cadillac Williams looks better than ever. After missing most of last year with an injury, Cadillac rushed for almost 100 yards and averaged 7.5 ypc against the Dallas Tony Romos. While Ward and Graham will eat up some of his carries, I expect a lot of fantasy owners will be looking to pick him up tomorrow. But not me — I drafted him in both of my leagues.
- Joe Buck looks and sounds as annoying as ever. Okay, I know the Giants-Skins game was actually a “late” game Sunday, but it only took me one early look and listen to remember how this arrogant SOB uses every other play to put his professional interests before the game.