The Steelers Should Sign Mike Vick – Here’s Why

vick1
I’ve read the comments, battled with it in my own mind, and time and time again, I’ve come to this conclusion – I’ll take Mike Vick on the Steelers in 2009.

That is a tough statement to make, and while I know that I’ll get blasted in the comments section today, tomorrow, and probably over the weekend, I will try to at least make some type of case as to why I think this move would help the Steelers on the field, and not threaten their locker room with distractions off of it.

1. Vick can play the game – Yes, Mike Vick is not the next Joe Montana or anything like that, but there’s been plenty of times in his pro career that he showed he can throw the football and make plays, and even make more plays with his legs. We are talking about a talented player here, not a practice squad guy.

2. He fills a position on this club – The Steelers for the past 14 seasons always seemed to have that multi-threat player that once the ball is in is hands, can run or throw it – Kordell Stewart, Antwaan Randle-El, these guys always gave the Steelers that trick play ability. For now, Dennis Dixon is that guy, and I don’t think he’s ready for that role – Vick would be.

3. The guy paid his debt
– I realize that what he did was AWFUL and WRONG, but let’s be real, he paid his debt with a prison term. If your going to allow Browns WR Donte’ Stallworth a shot to play again AFTER KILLING A MAN DRUNK DRIVING, should we not allow Vick the same ability to play again?

4. The Steelers could handle the off the field PR nightmare that comes with signing Vick – Pittsburgh is already somewhat is the midst of chaos with the Ben Roethlisberger situation, and not to say Vick would totally overshadow that, but come on – he would. This is not to say that one distraction deserves another, but I think the Steelers and Mike Tomlin could have Vick on their team and it not be a circus.

5. It’s a low risk move
– If Vick screws up, you kick him to the curb and say “thanks but no thanks.” Nothing lost, nothing gained. But if he shows that he is truly reformed and is doing things right, you have another weapon to a team that is ready for another Super Bowl run.

So go ahead, slam me, throw me your comments, tell me I should have me Steelers Nation membership revoked, how your not going to attend games or watch them if they sign him, whatever. I’m man enough to say it – this team would be a better team with Mike Vick on it.

20 Responses to “The Steelers Should Sign Mike Vick – Here’s Why”

1. nate says:

i completely agree

2. Maurce Ward says:

I agree with you. I also believe we all have our problems, and we all not only deserve to be forgiven we desire forgiveness. Mike Vick has paid his debt. Even though some are still mad, forgive the man. Let the Mike Vick star rise, shine and entertain us once again. What if it was you who needed to be forgiven?

Mike Vick, I love you! May God bless and keep you. May His blessings and favor chase you down. You have favor. Now, walk in it. Endure Mike Vick, endure.

3. Meghan Cratty says:

I absolutely agree. He did his time fair and square, give the guy a chance

4. Blitzburgh says:

Where does signing Vick make sense?

Big Ben has proven time and time again that he can extend a play and get the chains moving. Charlie Batch is an EXCELLENT back-up that has the potential to be a starter in this league. There are no gaps at the quarterback position.

The Steelers certainly don’t need anymore ‘added’ drama! The whole ‘sexaul assault’ case already is a fishy ordeal and is being dealt with in the Steelers organization.

Yes, our run game was not ‘up to par’ compared to years past. Why? Arians decided that we no longer need a fullback! Go back to that style running and dem Stillers will be back into that good ‘ol fashioned smash mouth ball that we love to play!

End of rant….

5. Rich says:

I thought the exact same this for the last 2 months. Everyone looks at me like I am a crazy man…

6. Doug says:

Vick is an extremely viable option for the Steelers. How can you pass up an unbelievable athlete for such a low price? He would not compete for Roethelisberger’s job, but he would do a lot to open up the Steeler’s running game. Just thinking about Parker and Vick in the backfield gives me chills. Throw in Holmes and Ward along w/ Miller at tight end and you have a pretty potent offense. I just hope that the offensive line continues to come together like it did last year. It doesn’t matter how great your skill players are, if your line sucks, it really hurts your chances. I would like to win some games by more than 3 points next year. Last year was like a heart attack every week.

7. Rob says:

As someone who hates the Steelers, there’s nothing more I want in life than for Vick to sign with the Steelers. Overrated, poor excuse for a human being. And with all that crap Steeler fans get smug about pitching the Ravens and the Bengals, it’d be great to point out that between Vick (drugs, crime ring), Big Ben (sexual assault), James Harrison (domestic violence), Santonio Holmes (drugs, domestic violence), Jeff Reed (assault, vandalism), and others, they’d be a one-team crime spree. Stay classy, Steelers; sign Ron Mexico.

8. cody says:

I agree with you they need to get him at a one year low price deal to see how he does. He can absolutely provide depth for the steelers and should be granted the opportunity to play again. For the charlie batch sake he hasnt played in a game in a long time so you dont no what he can deliver.

9. DINO says:

I THINK WE NEED ANOTHER THREAT ON THE TEAM I AGREE WITH HE SERVED HIS TIME I DO NOT AGREE WITH HIM NOT TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT THE WHOLE SITUATION BUT HE DID SERVE HIS TIME IF THAT IS THE CASE AND PITTSBURGH SIGN HIM HE MUST UNDERSTAND HIS ROLE WITH PITTSBURGH BIG BEN IS THE MAN IN PITTSBURGH SO AS LONG AS HE UNDERSTANDS THAT HE WILL AND COULD BE A GREAT CHOICE FOR PITTSBURGH WE LOST LEFTWICH SO WE DO NEED A STRONG BACK UP IN CASE SH-T HAPPENS TO BIG BEN

10. FastEddie says:

“Vick can play the game”–which game are we talking about?

I sign Mike Vick, the first thing I say to him is, “Hey, Mike, get out there and let’s see how you do returning punts.” He can start as a return man and maybe work his way into the WR rotation. Occasional snaps in a Wildcat formation are OK, but he is never in a position to take regular snaps at QB for me. He may be able to heave a football downfield better than many, but he’s never been able to “throw” well enough to be even a competent NFL starter.

11. Kid Vegas says:

Who cares where Vick signs, the Steelers have proven over the years they simply cannot beat Tom Brady. If that guy comes back 80%, you have to like the pats this year.

12. Sharon says:

Where you from Rob? Dallas or are you a Cheatriots fan?

13. jagoff says:

NFL Rules state two players cannot wear the same numbered jersey. We already have a #7

Better Fit: Cleveland = Dawg Pound

Best Fit: Cincinnati = locker room talk, swapping “what i did behind bars” storeies

14. steelers kid says:

rob u r so stupid it ant funny u have no football knowledge go home and read a book u fool

15. J.ROLAND says:

LET’S STOP TALKING ABOUT IT;YES SIGN THE VICK WE NEED HIM HE’S DONE HIS TIME…NOW IT’S TIME 4 SOME FOOTBALL TIME,STEEL-VICK OOOOH YEAH

16. dog mom says:

Signing Vick would be telling the world that you can torture and mutilate animals (signs of an emerging serial killer /psycopath) and STILL be signed by the best footbal team in the world. Also makes Pittsburghers look like a bunch of animal abusers. Why not invite all of the child molestors and rapists to our formerly proud city as well? Vick and others like him should have no place in our society.

17. Paul says:

Let him return kicks, earn a place like the rookies.

that would be an immediate asset to a weakness on the steelers.

18. M says:

“Signing Vick would be telling the world that you can torture and mutilate animals (signs of an emerging serial killer /psycopath)”

No, not always. Plenty of people have hit or hurt animals in their lives and never went on to kill people. My father used to fry aunts with a magnifying glass because he thought it was funny. He never abused or killed anyone.

Fighting dogs used to be a legal sport many men participated in. There was no epidemic of men coming home after fighting their dogs and murdering their family during that time.

You sound like a sensationalist PETA member that thinks doing any harm to animals, even eating meat, guarantees you will become a psychotic barbarian that needs to be shunned for the rest of their life.

People can change. I do not know if Vick thinks what he did is wrong or if he will ever do it again, but I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And if you still want Vick to be shunned forever/rot in prison, I hope you want these people to be as well. Dog show breeders like these are just as “cruel” as Mike Vick.

19. M says:

Haha. I mean ants, not aunts.

20. Big Tony says:

i completely agree ive been saying it all year im a true steelers fan since 78 and i like Big Ben but can you imagine the power of an fantasy/dream team we would have with him,lets face it Vick knows and plays the game to well to not atleast consider him..i know some folk will frown on this but lets face it after the nonesense of the past few years and the wows of PETA and whoever else this man will help when games and ultimately fill seats which is a win win for the city and the fans lets be smart its a franchise move..