Every year there are some players for whatever reason come in with untapped potential, whetether it be rookie or a cast off another team gave up on the Saints seem to have found some more of these guys again this year. Starting with the offense I will follow up with defense soon.
1. Robert Meachem, WR Meachem has a ton of upside but has struggled since coming into the league a big, fast wide reciver he came to camp out of shape and the result was a season ending knee injury. Meachem struggled his 2nd year with the Saints also because of conditioning and a lack of confidence and knowledge of the playbook. Supposedly this all has changed now and Mechem looks primed to move from potenetial to production this year he has worked with a specialist in New Orleans and finally appears to be in proper shape let’s hope he continues to work on his newly imrpoved work ethic.
2. Adrian Arrington WR Arrington was impressing a lot of people in 2008 during camp with his sharp routes, good hands and quick absortion of the playboook, but before he was able to finish up the preseason he suffered an injury that ended his season early and instead of risking losing him on waivers through the practice squad the team decided to place him on the IR. Arrington suffered a slight hamstring pull in the OTA’s but he should be ready for camp. The biggest question with him his not his ability right now but his durability at 6’3 192 pounds he looks a little on the frail side, a few extra pounds would probably do wonders for his durabilty.
3. Courtney Roby WR/KR Originally a 3rd round pick by the Titans he was released and signed by the Saints during the season in which he quickly impressed as a KR. Roby, a fast receiver with good speed has shown some flashes during the OTA’s and may be able to provide some depth at WR this season and not just as a return man.
4. Paris Warren WR Origianally a draft pick by the Buccaneers he was starting to show some promise when he got derailed by an injury in 2007. While he is a long shot to make the roster due to the current depth he could be able to step up if there is an injury opening the door for him.
5. Pierre Thomas RB Thomas has shown flashes and this year he will be given his chance to carry the load for a full season.
6. Reggie Bush RB we all know what he can do the question is can he ever do it for a full season?
7. Mike Bell RB Was signed because of injuries last year and did an ok job as a late fill in. So far this offseason he as come in more dedicated than ever before he is leaner and has worked himself up to 230 pounds. The immaturity issues that plagued him in Denver and caused his release seem to finally be a thing of the past and he should be primed to be our short yardage back this year.
8. Lynell Hamilton RB/FB A big powerful back who also has some speed, Hamilton has a world of abilty but his college career was plagued with injuries if he can stay healthy he can end up being a contributor and a major steal.
9. Jermon Bushrod OT There is no doubting Bushrod has all the physical tools to succeed at this level but he is still raw and needs to learn the nuances of the posistion better, if he can he can provide solid depth behind Jamaal Brown and maybe even push Stinchcomb on the right side.
10. Carl Nicks OT/OG Even after what he showed last year starting as a rookie I have a feeling he has another level he can still reach.
1. PJ Hill RB This is a kid who lead the Big10 in rushing as a freshman, but some off the field incidents and character concerns hurt him in the draft. There is no doubt this kid can perform and it appears he may have gorwn up some and can stay out of trouble, but with the current depth ahead of him it will be an uphill battle to make the 53 man roster.
2. Herb Donaldson RB An extremely productive and durable back in college, Donaldson struggled some during the OTA’s making the step up form the FPS division of college. He has the abilty to become a solid reserve but like Hill will have a tough time winning a roster spot and looks to be a pracitce squad canidate.
Keep an eye on these players during camp you never know when one fo them will go from potential to productionor in the case of Bush and Nicks take it to a whole new level.