Why Michael Vick Should NOT be Allowed to Ever Play in the NFL Again

Falcons Vick Released Football
Mike Barthel of Fantasy Football Oasis wrote the following piece he wanted to share with our readers about Michael Vick, and how he should NOT be allowed to ever play in the NFL again. Check it out below:

Michael Vick should not be allowed in the league again, period.

I’m not a dog person and my blog is not sponsored by PETA. With that being said, I feel as though I kind of feel like I am. In a unanimous decision, EVERY person that responded to a poll at the Oasis forums believes Vick should be allowed to play in the NFL this season. I have three reasons why I believe otherwise.

First, let’s look at Vick’s crime. Michael Vick served 23 months in prison for one count of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture. For these legal actions, the United States encourages a 12-18 month sentence with the possibility of up to 60 months of incarceration. The time Vick was legally forced to serve, however, had nothing to do with the multiple meetings Vick had with Arthur Blank and Roger Goodell in which he repeatedly lied about his involvement. From my perspective, Vick could be allowed for immediate reinstatement had he been forward with the NFL. However, even after FBI investigations had begun, Vick lied to Goodell and Blank attempting to sustain his luxurious lifestyle. The NFL has every right to maintain a desired image. Does adding Vick to the organization project that desired image? For some unknown reason though, Vick supporters assume that the 23 months spent in his minimum-security penitentiary provided the ample perspective for Vick to be remorseful of his pre-meditated, years-long sociopathic behavior.

In addition to committing the crime he was convicted of, Vick also was investigated for a second crime which was dropped as a part of his plea bargain: Gambling. I will admit; the gambling being investigated was in coordination with the dog fighting that occurred on Vick’s property. However, professional sports leagues have a very hard hand against gambling. Look no further than Pete Rose. Gambling is an aspect of sports that leagues attempt to squelch immediately and forcefully.

Look at it this way: Vick gets into the habit of betting on which dog will kill the other. One day, a friend approaches him and says, “Hey Mike, I bet you ten grand you can’t rush for 50 yards against the Vikings next week.” It’s that simple. Surround yourself with people who enjoy the ‘activities’ Vick was supporting, and you are asking for trouble.

Finally, if reinstated, NFL teams will be hesitant of adding Vick to their roster. With Vick, for every 20-yard run that made it onto Sportscenter, there were a handful of third-and-somethings that Vick failed to convert. Here is a comparison between Vick’s last Pro Bowl season (2006) and 2008’s quarterback rankings.

Click HERE to read the rest

11 Responses to “Why Michael Vick Should NOT be Allowed to Ever Play in the NFL Again”

1. Buyers beware on Vick’s anti-dog fighting work

Michael Vick, the infamous football star who confessed to being part of a massive dogfighting ring in 2007, is getting out of jail this week. And with his release, it has been learned that he will be working with the Humane Society of the United States to push their efforts to end dogfighting rings.

It’s easy to take shots at Vick after his reprehensible behaviour. It’s especially easy as he isn’t even finishing his 23 month sentence in prison.

But that is beyond our control: the courts, judges, lawyers and Vick himself did their due diligence; Vick did serve some hard time for a crime to which he admitted.

What is within our grasp, however, is speculating as to Vick’s future with the Humane Society.

Vick is in the professional athlete business: his skill isn’t the only part that needs selling. His personality, face and history are part of the package that is bought by teams. It’s rather obvious this is a move to clean up that image for both the public as well as the teams.

We can’t say for certain that Vick is against dog fighting. In fact, we believe that anyone who has watched two dogs try to kill each other and not felt disgust cannot, through any amount of rehabilitation, suddenly feel remorse for the animals. He can feel remorse for getting caught; he can feel remorse for potentially ruining a bright career as an NFL player. But for pitting dogs against each other for entertainment? We think not.

We want the public and the NFL community to keep this in mind as Vick begins his campaign with the Humane Society. The work he will do will undoubtedly help in their efforts and may even convince some that dogfighting is wrong.

But the bottom line for the public? Buyers beware of Vick’s new outlook on illegal dogfighting.

Project Mutt is a non-profit organization dedicated to revolutionizing the way the world views mutts and canine-related issues. To learn more and join the revolution, visit http://www.ProjectMutt.com.

Howard L. McGile
    Founder, Project Mutt
    howard@projectmutt.com

2. MarkV says:

Good job reminding us all why he went to jail and why we should be upset! All 3 points were excellent! I think too often these sentences allow us to forget the circumstances, and the media seems too focused on the ‘now’ instead of the ‘why.’ To the lying and gambling, I was going to add ‘lack of remorse’ but Howard said it in a different and better way. Hopefully you published this article in several places and not just here.

3. Coach De says:

Matt

You can’t be serious,let me ask you a question in your entire life have YOU ever lied to anyone? We all know the answer to that now don’t we! So what makes your lie better than his lie? A lie is a lie and no one should be punished forever for lying. I will be FRANK because I am tired of this undercover racism. Let me ask you this question just to make you think, What if this had been Tom Brady or Peyton Manning would things have gotten this bad? Vick has done a wrong and has served his time for that wrong. Let me ask another question name one athlete that has been punished to this extreme for a mistake. Next I am also tired of poeple trying to make athletes their child’s role model. Grow a pair and be a role model for your own d@mn child. Now to address your gambling thought which is in my opinion a little misleading while the NFL does have harsh rules on gambling Vick showed no signs of an addictions nor have there been any NFL related gambling incidents. Matt my final point to u, all your fans, and everybody else None of us are perfect and have all come short of the glory of GOD and one thing the BIBLE teaches us all is to have a forgiving heart. You remember this the next time you make a mistake and need some to forgive you.

4. RENNE RENNE says:

Have we all had our heads stuck up a camels ass or somthing? This man enjoyed killing animals and did it often, of coarse he is going to say he changed. Do we expect him to say the truth and that is that he loved dog fighting??? He is a nasty man! Think of what kind of people are going to be his fan base!!!! Bastards such as himself that’s what!!! Yes the bible teaches us all to be forgiving but I’m sorry, this man does not deserve a golden platter!!!! I’ve done some bad things in my life and I don’t expect anyone to forgive me for it nor do I lie about it to anyone! This man is as bad as a pedifile!! What do they have in common you ask? Well they both hurt and kill innocent beings!! That makes him a monster in my book and the books of many many others!!! BOO HOO Over him as much as you want but if your pets ever get stolen and used as bait for fighting then you may see things a little differant trust me!!!!

5. RENNE RENNE says:

Also what else I find so stupid is that anyone would pull out the race card on this! I mean for pete sake Matt!!! knock it off your sounding childish so put the card away and stop!Serial killers don’t stop killing they just get caught that’s all and Mike Vick got caught or he would still be killing animals today!!

6. JJ PARKER says:

I THINK HE SHOULD BE ABLE 2 PLAY BACK IN THE NFL BECAUSE EVERYBODY DESERVER TO HAVE A SECOND CHANCE IN LIFE. SOME PEOPLE IN THE NFL DRIVEIN DRUNK MIGHT HAVE HURT SOMEBODY THEY STILL PLAYING IN THE NFL 2 THIS DAY SO I THINK HE SHOULD PLAY BACK IN THE NFL.

7. RENNE RENNE says:

YES MAYBE BUT AT THE SAME TIME I HONESTLY DO NOT THINK HE WILL STOP THE DOG FIGHTING, HE MAY HAVE 2 PASSIONS, KILLING ANIMALS AND PLAYING FOOT BALL! HE WILL SAY WHAT EVERYONE WANTS TO HEAR! AND YES SECOND CHANCES ARE ALWAYS A GOOD THING BUT IN SOME CASES THEY ARN’T! HE’S A COLD HEARTED MAN WHO LOVES MONEY! THE ONLY REASON ANYONE WOULD BE ON HIS SIDE IS BEACUSE THEY APPROVE OF WHAT HE DID AND PROBALY DO IT THEMSELVES! EVIL PEOPLE ARE ALL AROUND AND FOR SOME REASON SOME PEOPLE PRAISE PEOPLE SUCH AS HIMSELF? WOW!!!! WHAT A GOOD ROLE MODLE HE ISN’T!!!!

8. tim egan says:

Sorry, anyone who likes dogs killing each other and then kills the dogs that don’t measure up is a sick loser. I wouldn’t care if he was the greatest quarterback that ever lived. Has everyone lost their mind about this? Let Michael Vick figure out his own future without the NFL. Many a great player has had to do that only because of injuries or other things that were our of their control. We have many, many great athletes out there who would give anything for the chance at the big time. Let them have it…and if they kill dogs, take it away from them. Simple as that.

9. Carol says:

Anyone who likes raping, torturing, and killing dogs should have the same done to them. I agree with Tim Egan, God bless him. If any NFL team picks up this jerk, I will NEVER watch pro football again and not allow it in my home, & will encourage everyone I know to ban it. My dog (a rescue) was abused and reclaimed by his breeder (bless her; my dog is a champion). But that doesn’t matter – in Michael Vicks’ case, “humane” does not ever into the situation. He is one twisted, evil jerk who plays on his talent in football to escape the consequences of what is a very nasty, unforgivable set of acts. This is not one occurrence. This is serial. He knew what he what he was doing. He thought he could get over. He’s wrong. And decent people will not support this. Ever.

10. RENNE RENNE says:

Thank God there are others out there like Carol and Tim egan!! I was almost wondering if anyone felt the way I do about it all, there is a pic of one of his dogs that was rescued from his property and it is so outrageous and heart breaking, I hope and pray that the ufl, and the nfl will do the right thing and that is to not make him a celeb! He may play good ball but he doesn’t deserve nothing!Animal can be mean because some people make them that way, it breaks my heart and I know the hearts of many others. I rescued a pitbull recently and I love him but it took some work to get the fear out of him and I know it’s not totally gone. When I found him he was covered in blood and scared and half at deaths door! He had bite wounds from being fought. He jumped into my arms and I had not the heart to turn him away. My heart and respect goes out to all people who help and love animals!

11. Tim Klein says:

Must agree with Renne-
    The race thing is BS-
    ANYONE who does what he did should be banned from ever holding a professional or responsible position.

This man is sick. Period. I gave away my season
    tickets when I realized the NFL cares more about $$$, than the thought of helpless animals being tortured.

Until people evolve a little more, and start
    understanding our actual role on this planet,
    we are doomed to continue killing and torture..

Anyone who thinks ‘people are more important’
    than torturing an innocent creature will have some haevy Karma to deal with. Oh yes.