Here we are at Cleveland Browns Stadium for the final regular season game. The Browns really have nothing to play for since they blew that game last week vs the Bengals. Here are some notes from this and the other games around the NFL today.
* The Jags are playing no one. And of course with a game likely in Pittsburgh next weekend that is to be expected. Both Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew are on the inactive list, and you can bet to see a lot of Quinn Gray at QB. Everyone thinks the Jags are a very dangerous team come playoff time, and we’ll see how they do in their first test next weekend. They are 5-2 on the road going into today vs the Texans, so we’ll see if they can keep it up.
* Two sources are now reporting that Mike Martz is going to get the ax as the Lions offensive coordinator. The Lions have been in a huge offensive slump since they started the season 6-2. A few things to remember though is that they have not been as successful in creating as many turnovers as they did in their first 8 games, and they have not been able to run the ball much at all this season. You can bet the Lions are going to take a hard look at running backs in free agency and the draft.
* A couple of players that might be seeing their last game today in their current uniforms – Bernard Berrian with the Bears, Chad Johnson with the Bengals, Donovan McNabb with the Eagles, Chad Pennington with the Jets, Derek Anderson with the Browns and even though he is hurt Jonothan Vilma with the Jets. All these guys fall in one of three catagories – free agents, trading block or flat out let go.
* You have to like the two must-win teams that win and they are in the playoffs – the Redskins vs Dallas and the Titans vs the Colts. Both the Cowboys and the Colts have nothing to play for, and I think that most if not all of their starters are going to be sitting for a majority of the game.
* The Ravens are a bad football team, and now they are going to have to find themselves a new offensive coordinator, as Rick Neuheisel will be heading to be the new head man at UCLA. Looks to me like the Ravens, with the age and somewhat talent issues, could be a team that is going to be bad for the next couple of seasons.
* Out of the teams that will not make the playoffs that are furthest away from being there – how bout the Falcons and the Ravens. Atlatna has tons of issues, on and off the field, and the Ravens, who we just talked about above, also have some big things they have to get straght before they are going to contend again.