All signs are not pointing to the Chargers playing their scheduled home game game this week at Qualcomm Stadium on Monday night instead of Sunday afternoon. The team left Arizona on Thursday after being shipped their to practice the past few days while Qualcomm was used as a shelter for people to escape the wildfires in California. Mayor Jerry Sanders said on Thursday that the stadium would be game-ready for this weekend against Houston.
The Chargers put out a statement on the situation following what Sanders said. “As Mayor Jerry Sanders said this afternoon, the Chargers remain in regular communication with both the city of San Diego and the National Football League,” the statement read. “The Chargers are working with the mayor’s office and the NFL to ensure that all aspects of this situation are carefully evaluated and that the best possible decision for the people of San Diego is ultimately reached. The Chargers will continue to do everything possible to provide Mayor Sanders with the flexibility he needs to determine what is in the public interest.”
The mayor’s office was not too happy with the teams statement. “We have no idea what they’re talking about,” mayoral spokesman Fred Sainz said. “It has nothing to do with any mayoral decision. We’ve informed them what our decision is . . . It’s now up to the team (to decide if) the game is held there or somewhere else.”
So it appears that after all that, San Diego will play on Monday night, giving the team a day to settle back in at home, and allowing the Texans to prepare an extra day as well to know they will play the Chargers at San Diego’s stadium, not at home as they were hoping earlier in the week. “The indications to us were that we’re going to play on Monday night in San Diego,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “That’s the last thing I’ve been told.”