Panthers Say So Long to Keyshawn

The Panthers, on the heels of drafting USC wide out Dwayne Jarrett on Saturday, have bid farewell to reciever Keyshawn Johnson. The former Jet, Buc and Cowboy was released by his fourth team on Tuesday, as the team moves in another direction towards getting younger at reciever. “We appreciated the contribution of Keyshawn in his season with the Panthers,” coach John Fox said. “He brought us high production, but at this time, we are in a situation in which we have a number of young receivers and thought this was the right time to make the decision.”

Keyshawn will turn 35 in July, so he likely would get some looks from other teams if he wanted to throw himself into the free agent mix. He did look rather good and did a nice job this past weekend working as a guest on ESPN during he draft. It likely wouldn’t take much for him to move from the field to the booth, if that is the direction he wanted to go in.

He is the 16th wide out with 800 career catches, and according to Panthers GM Marty Hurney, Keyshawn took the news a bit hard. “I don’t think he agreed with the decision. I think he feels like he could have come in and helped us in our goal of trying to get to the playoffs and win the championship, but I think he understood our thought process,” Hurney said. “I would just say he didn’t agree with it.”

The move to release Johnson speaks volumes of what the team wants to do with Jarrett, and that is he will now likely be a starter on the Panthers, who slumped to an 8-8 season last year after reaching the NFC Title game two seasons ago.


Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to NFL Gridiron Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

Comments are closed.