With week five of the NFL season upon us, time to get ready once again for what is promising to be an entertaining weekend of action. All eyes will be in Philly with the Cowboys and Eagles, but there are some other solid matchps as well as interesting storylines that will surely come out of this weekends games. Below are some of my thoughts about various news and notes as we get set for this weekends slate of games.
* The Bengals are not only in trouble on the field, but they may be in more trouble off of it. Now WR Chris Henry has been suspended for two games for violating the leagues substance abuse policy. He is the 2nd Bengal suspended this season and the 6th that has been arrested since the end of last season. While the team is giving up way too many yards on the ground, and the offense is not in total sync, the constant distractions of problems with thugs on the team may be catching up with them.
* Fox declaring that the Sunday Cowboy-Eagles matchup as “The Game of the Year” is just totally ridiclous. I understand that they are looking to milk every ratings point they can, but give me a break. There is no way that this game can live up to all the hype behind it. It should be a good game, don’t get me wrong – but the “Game of the Year?” I don’t think so. I think that the game of the year to date through 4 weeks was last weeks Jaguars-Redskins overtime thriller that saw the Skins pull out a 36-30 overtime win. I watched this game on replay Tuesday night, and the action was at a high level and the crowd got their money’s worth.
* There are a couple of 1-2 or 1-3 teams that had high hopes for this season, including the Giants, Dolphins, Cardinals, Chiefs, and Steelers. Out of those teams, I think the one in the most trouble is the Dolphins. The team is just not as good as we all thought they would be. Daunte Culpepper is playing as poorly as he was before the injury in Carolina last year playing with the Vikings. The defense is not getting turnovers or sacks, and with games at New England and at the Jets before the bye week, there is a very real chance they could be 1-5 as they enter their bye.
* How many times does the city of Los Angeles have to make a pitch to reacquire an NFL team? Friday the mayors of LA and Anaheim met with new NFL commish Roger Goodell to try and lure him to get a team back in LA. It’s bad enough that this major market couldn’t support the Rams and Raiders. Why are we to believe that another team there would get anymore fan support? Keep the teams where they are, and let LA continue to support teams like the Lakers, Angels and Kings.
* If there is one game I really want to see this weekend, it’s the OTHER game in the NFC East – The Redskins at Giants in the Meadowlands. The Skins are coming off that big win over the Jags, and the Giants have GOT to get things going or they are going to be looking at 1-3. As stated in my predictions, I think the emotion will carry the Giants to a win, but would not be shocked in the least to see the Skins get out of there with a win. A loss here by NY and the press in the Big Apple will have no choice but to ride the teams lack of success hard.